Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Health science major??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Joseph.ny, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Joseph.ny

Joseph.ny Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Many people in my school change to health science majors as a backup plan. Does anybody have any advice toward this plan?? I am thinking about changing it but I don't know if I should focus on my premed study or change it...

2. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :confused: What's a health sciences major? Is it for nurses or something? You want to have a well-rounded experience in undergrad, not just a bunch of pre-med and science courses.

3. Delicate Genius

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and any other science major can be considered "a bunch of pre-med and science courses"

Health science is a very broad subject. I think you may be able to choose a partcular concentration for this major (such as pre-med, community health, etc.) It's pretty much used as a stepping stone for those wanting to enter graduate study in healthcare.

I am not sure of there are any great and exciting jobs out there for people with just an undergraduate degree, but honestly, the same can be said for most majors, especially biology (which seems to be the popular choice amoung pre-meds)

4. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    In my undergrad, the Health Sciences major is obtained through the Education department, not the Science department. It's basically a bunch of easy (so most people say) health ed classes. As a back-up, apparently, you can teach. It does not involve many (if any) upper level science classes (bio/chem/physics/etc).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...