Health troubles in pre-med years...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mapandterritory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week I had a sudden onset of pain in my left lower back. It wasn't severe, just sharp whenever certain areas were pressed on. After a few days I began to doubt it was muscular, so I ended up having a few tests done. I'm a little worried, but before I just chalked up much of what I've been feeling (sleep deprivation, fatigue, etc.) to stress and depression.

I'm bummed because finals are coming up, and I feel so out of it. A week ago I got an 82 in a class I had a 98 average in, so the highest I'll be able to get is a B+. I'll probably end up with a C+ in another class that I was doing well in before. I know it's definitely not the end of the world, but I am interested in some MD-PhD programs and don't want to mess this semester up. :(

I'm not here for a diagnosis, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced health problems during their pre-med years, and how that affected their application process.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am currently a junior studying electrical engineering, with a 3.2 cGPA, and planning on doing pre-med on the post-bacc track. I have been forced to take medical withdrawal three times. I also have been out of school for an entire year (this year) receiving treatment. I spent seven weeks in the hospital this year, including four days in the ICU.

I have a rare autoimmune disease, basically an autoimmune autonomic neuropathy (more specifically, ganglionopathy) which is also known as autoimmune dysautonomia. My disease causes severe gastroparesis (chronic nausea and vomiting), orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure/high pulse rate in the standing/upright position) and severe fatigue.

I also have type 1 diabetes (autoimmune diabetes), which was previously believed to be causing the problems listed above, before I was diagnosed with my rare autoimmune disease. In other words, it was previously believed that my problems were due to diabetes complications.

Anyways, I don't want to make you feel worse, but academically this has been a nightmare for me. Every semester is stressful and I usually feel like I am on the shadow of the valley of death every single semester, but generally I end up doing fine. Also, any semester where I was forced to take medical withdrawal, I feel like the world is collapsing on me. No matter what, I am going to get my degree and I try to focus on the big picture, rather than my deficiencies.

If I were you, I would do everything in my power to get a diagnosis so you can figure out how to handle the situation in the future.

From an academic standpoint, I would also recommend registering at your university's disability services office, with accommodations such as extensions of due dates, exceptions to absentee policies, and extended testing time (makes exams less stressful).

For medical school apps, you will have plenty of opportunities to explain your situation in AMCAS. In my situation, due to taking medical withdrawal three times, I can expect to be asked 100000000x "are you sure you can handle the rigors of medical school?" and "what have you done to make sure you can handle x, y, and z rigors?"

I would imagine your situation would be similar when you apply to medical school.

Unfortunately, being chronically ill and going to university is difficult. You will have to make sacrifices and compromises, perhaps resting more, doing fewer ECs, and maybe even taking a lighter course load.

But, I urge you to get a proper diagnosis as soon as possible. This will allow you to get proper medical care, including coordination of care. You need to have resources (plans with your doctors) in case problems turn in to a crisis/alter your functioning to where your grades are being impacted, so that another treatment or tool is available at all times. Try to keep variables in check such as getting plenty of rest, fluids, pain management, to keep things from hitting the fan.

When you get a diagnosis, things will get better. Keep up the good work, and do not feel bad about getting marks that undermine your potential. It is not your fault, and you are doing a great job, even though it is very difficult. Do not let anyone tell your differently

I am currently a junior studying electrical engineering, with a 3.2 cGPA, and planning on doing pre-med on the post-bacc track. I have been forced to take medical withdrawal three times. I also have been out of school for an entire year (this year) receiving treatment. I spent seven weeks in the hospital this year, including four days in the ICU.

I have a rare autoimmune disease, basically an autoimmune autonomic neuropathy (more specifically, ganglionopathy) which is also known as autoimmune dysautonomia. My disease causes severe gastroparesis (chronic nausea and vomiting), orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure/high pulse rate in the standing/upright position) and severe fatigue.

I also have type 1 diabetes (autoimmune diabetes), which was previously believed to be causing the problems listed above, before I was diagnosed with my rare autoimmune disease. In other words, it was previously believed that my problems were due to diabetes complications.

Anyways, I don't want to make you feel worse, but academically this has been a nightmare for me. Every semester is stressful and I usually feel like I am on the shadow of the valley of death every single semester, but generally I end up doing fine. Also, any semester where I was forced to take medical withdrawal, I feel like the world is collapsing on me. No matter what, I am going to get my degree and I try to focus on the big picture, rather than my deficiencies.

If I were you, I would do everything in my power to get a diagnosis so you can figure out how to handle the situation in the future.

From an academic standpoint, I would also recommend registering at your university's disability services office, with accommodations such as extensions of due dates, exceptions to absentee policies, and extended testing time (makes exams less stressful).

For medical school apps, you will have plenty of opportunities to explain your situation in AMCAS. In my situation, due to taking medical withdrawal three times, I can expect to be asked 100000000x "are you sure you can handle the rigors of medical school?" and "what have you done to make sure you can handle x, y, and z rigors?"

I would imagine your situation would be similar when you apply to medical school.

Unfortunately, being chronically ill and going to university is difficult. You will have to make sacrifices and compromises, perhaps resting more, doing fewer ECs, and maybe even taking a lighter course load.

But, I urge you to get a proper diagnosis as soon as possible. This will allow you to get proper medical care, including coordination of care. You need to have resources (plans with your doctors) in case problems turn in to a crisis/alter your functioning to where your grades are being impacted, so that another treatment or tool is available at all times. Try to keep variables in check such as getting plenty of rest, fluids, pain management, to keep things from hitting the fan.

When you get a diagnosis, things will get better. Keep up the good work, and do not feel bad about getting marks that undermine your potential. It is not your fault, and you are doing a great job, even though it is very difficult. Do not let anyone tell your differently

I'm sorry to hear about your disorder. Your advice is also very helpful. In the back of my mind I know I'll be able to explain myself if something goes horribly wrong, but this semester could end up blemishing my transcript. Other than that, my GPA is quite good.

I'm going to see my doctor again on Monday, let's hope it turns out okay. The "more sleep" part of this is something I approve of. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I'm dealing with chronic well-controlled mental illness + frequent migraines + bad back pain this semester. As I type, I have a heating pad on my back. I feel like an old man sometimes: I take pills to control one illness, and other medications to deal with the side effects of the first set of drugs!

- Talk to your professors. Many will be understanding. Today a professor bumped back a deadline for me after I missed an important class because of pain and sleeplessness.

- Be willing to lose a few points on an assignment for the sake of overall health.

- If you're in the habit of pulling all-nighters before exams, or going on four hours of sleep, or skipping exercise, or eating Top Ramen every night, get out of those habits. They will make you sicker and more miserable over time.

- Balance. Decide: do I want a 100 on this assignment, or am I willing to get a 93 in order to maintain good, healthy habits like sleep, exercise, healthful eating, that will reduce your pain over all.

- MOVE. The best pain relief I know is exercise. If my back hurts, I go for a hike. I inevitably feel better afterwards -- I carry my stress in my back, and hiking both relieves stress and also gets me moving and relieves some of my back spasms.

And know that you're not alone. I feel so, so alone sometimes - like when I'm puking up my dinner on a Friday night because the medications I take are most effective just below the level of toxicity. It feels so damn isolating when you can't go out for drinks because you're on a muscle relaxant, or can't stay up until 3 in the morning playing Halo with your mates because you're non-functional if you don't get up and go to bed at the same time every day.

But you're not alone: everywhere around you are people dealing with health issues, or mental health issues, or screwy family lives, or all the other things that make people depressed and isolated.

And finally - ORGANIZE! Getting involved in disability activism, or mental health activism, can be really healing for the spirit. It's scary to be out and open about health issues, it's tempting to hide them, but there's a lot of fellowship to be found in the world if you're willing to seek it.