Health Worker as a Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x3virgie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So during my sophomore year at UC Berkeley, I worked as a health worker in the dorms where I basically acted as liaison between university health services and dormitory residents, researched and posted up health information on relevant health concerns, and addressed health issues.

By addressing health issues, I meant I did basic first aid whenever someone had a minor cut / injury and was responsible for calling paramedics when there was an emergency.

So my questions are, would it be okay to put this in my personal statement as a clinical experience? Or should I just leave it out and just put it in AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

So during my sophomore year at UC Berkeley, I worked as a health worker in the dorms where I basically acted as liaison between university health services and dormitory residents, researched and posted up health information on relevant health concerns, and addressed health issues.

By addressing health issues, I meant I did basic first aid whenever someone had a minor cut / injury and was responsible for calling paramedics when there was an emergency.

So my questions are, would it be okay to put this in my personal statement as a clinical experience? Or should I just leave it out and just put it in AMCAS?
You don't have to classify activities as being clinical experience vs. nonclinical experience when you are writing your PS. You just have to tie everything into the topic of "Why medicine?" By the nature of the prompt, you will be focusing a lot on clinical experiences but there's no "clinical experiences only" requirement.

By the way, if you use a story from your time as a health worker in your AMCAS PS, you would still describe the particulars of the activity in the AMCAS work/activities section. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you need to cram in all of your activities into your PS though. Please see Depakote's classic PS Tips thread for more details http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=536199