Healthcare articles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisguy896

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good articles that discusses current healthcare issues? Any summary/specific articles would be great. I basically want to learn the issues in enough depth as would be needed to answer questions well during interviews. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

look at Medscape in the Medical Students section or for that matter any section. It has tons of cases and CME's that will help you out. Or go to the AMSA website. Either have tons of info. AMSA has a bunch of articles on how to prep for your interview also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick up a copy of the New England Journal of Medicine.

tennisguy896 said:
Hello everybody. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good articles that discusses current healthcare issues? Any summary/specific articles would be great. I basically want to learn the issues in enough depth as would be needed to answer questions well during interviews. Thanks for the help!

Read the Health and Science section of the New York Times. Its free online and has a wide range of topics.

Try the Kaiser Family foundation for summaries of health care topics like the rising cost of health care, malparactice, etc. Between the university of washington bioethics site the other poster listed and the Kaiser Family
Foundation and the NY Times you should be all set. Keep in mind that these questions don't really come up at interviews (at lest not on mine) but its good to be informed and prepared if they do. Good luck with your preparation.

tennisguy896 said:
How to solve the healthcare issues this nation is facing:

http://www.hooverdigest.org/013/friedman.html

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate your help- these look like great resources.

tennisguy896 said:
Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate your help- these look like great resources.
OP- A few thoughts:

- pnasty's bioethics lead is a good one. Bioethics especially is a common talking point at interviews.

- NYTimes health section is great. It's well written (not dumbed down), but is not over the head of most premeds. The New England Journal of Medicine is well renowned, but if you're like most people who are honest with themselves, it is DRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYY. Some folks probably eat it up, but a majority of folks out there, including doctors to be, will find most of the research pretty dull.

- Read anything from the Hoover Institute at Stanford at your own risk. Love 'em or hate 'em, keep in the back of your mind that they are a conservative think tank. Don't take them part and parcel.

I have heard of a couple interview qs like "what is a current problem in healthcare and how would you work to solve it?" Any sources that specifically talk about problems (HMO, other insurance issues, etc...)? I don't now how much adcoms expect pre-meds to know since I've shadowed lots of docs who barely know the big issues in any significant depth. They're usually too busy saving lives :thumbup: .

Here's a really good one from NY Review of Books

Kaiser Family Foundation puts out alot of info on health care policy and has a email list. I get about 5 notices a week from them.

The University of BC has a resource where they aggregate open access articles on the latest topics in healthcare administration, http://read.chcm.ubc.ca. Lots of interesting stuff!

Last edited: