Healthcare experienced - shadowing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penicillinman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope this has not been posted before, but if it has than my apologies - i could not find it.

I am a pharmacist applying to medical school. I have worked in a hospital as a clinical pharmacist for the past 9 years in various roles including the ICU and Emergency department directly with physicians, nurses and patients. My question is do I need to shadow a physician? There are physicians I have spoken to (ER mds) who would be willing to write letters for me stating to this fact.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I hope this has not been posted before, but if it has than my apologies - i could not find it.

I am a pharmacist applying to medical school. I have worked in a hospital as a clinical pharmacist for the past 9 years in various roles including the ICU and Emergency department directly with physicians, nurses and patients. My question is do I need to shadow a physician? There are physicians I have spoken to (ER mds) who would be willing to write letters for me stating to this fact.

Yes. I have almost a decade of paid clinical experience including time spent actually delivering primary care and it was suggested by more that one adcom to make sure I shadow. Being a pharmacist is not the same as being a physician, and when you’re at work you aren’t able to 100% follow a physician around and see everything they do. That’s the rationale anyway.