Healthcare Management Track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

I've been reading posts on here for a few weeks now and have seen some great discussions. I wanted to get your take on my career map--

My end goal is to get into hospital administration. I think the healthcare field is very interesting and will be going through a lot of changes over the next decade. I have no specific background in healthcare. My only exposure is conducting depositons of CEOs of some hospital systems and research re: same in some merger cases I was invovled in (i'm currently a lawyer).

How do I make the transition? I am thinking of 2 options--
1. MHA program (like Hopkins or UMich) then healthcare consulting to immerse myself and then try to make the transition to a hospital.
2. go to b-school part time @ Northwestern with a concentration in healthcare. Then consulting and then hospital system.

Just took the GMAT and pulled a 700 (90th percentile). Will that get me a scholarship @ a MHA program. I know I'll get nothing from the PT program @ NU. Also PT MBA route will be much longer than the 2 year MHA and I'm already 30 so i dont want to prolong it too much. I'm not considering a full time MBA.

Thoughts? Any other paths, other than the 2 mentioned above that I have not considered? Thanks much for the help

sb

Members don't see this ad.

anyone? I would really appreciate the advice.

If you're planning to get into hospital admin, I think a MPH in Health Management or an MHA would suit you well. I'm not too sure about entrance scholarships since I'm an international student and don't really qualify for them. But maybe someone else on these forums could give you an idea of the scholarships being handed out.

I know the Hopkins MHA program is somewhat accelerated. It's still 2 years, but you're only in class for 4 quarters (~10 months) and then you do an 11 month internship. It's a paid internship and you quality for a 75% MTS scholarship so its a sweet deal.

My advice is to apply to schools with affiliated teaching hospitals (Harvard, Yale, Hopkins etc) or those with deep ties (U Minnesota + Mayo). I would hope this makes the transition into hospital admin a little easier.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe do a dual degree..most mba programs have lots of electives..or call the career services of the mph or b-school, they sometimes offer services to prospective students.

Hi All-

I've been reading posts on here for a few weeks now and have seen some great discussions. I wanted to get your take on my career map--

My end goal is to get into hospital administration. I think the healthcare field is very interesting and will be going through a lot of changes over the next decade. I have no specific background in healthcare. My only exposure is conducting depositons of CEOs of some hospital systems and research re: same in some merger cases I was invovled in (i'm currently a lawyer).

How do I make the transition? I am thinking of 2 options--
1. MHA program (like Hopkins or UMich) then healthcare consulting to immerse myself and then try to make the transition to a hospital.
2. go to b-school part time @ Northwestern with a concentration in healthcare. Then consulting and then hospital system.

Just took the GMAT and pulled a 700 (90th percentile). Will that get me a scholarship @ a MHA program. I know I'll get nothing from the PT program @ NU. Also PT MBA route will be much longer than the 2 year MHA and I'm already 30 so i dont want to prolong it too much. I'm not considering a full time MBA.

Thoughts? Any other paths, other than the 2 mentioned above that I have not considered? Thanks much for the help

sb

Hi sb10..
Check out the MedBusiness thread!! Lots of great info there.
Here is a link to an interesting discussion, I happened upon just a couple days ago that may tell you more about healthcare consulting.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=245908

Congrats on your awesome GMAT score!! It should definitely get you a scholarship but make sure to consider all things like cost of living and other expenses. Even though i dont know much about this yet, an MHA program sounds great and will at least get you to place where you can get a ton of advice from professors and other faculty members who know about healthcare management and consulting. I am also sure the sdners over at the medbusiness thread will be quite helpful!

I am also very much interested in this discussion and have been thinking of Hopkins. My questions are:

do they give your scholarships for yr 1?
The internship in yr 2 that is paid- what is the pay level?
What is the avg starting salary for new grads?
Do those w.o prior hc xp have a chance of going straight into administration or is there any intermediate step (like consulting) that must be taken first?

Also I'm from Chicago. I know Hopkins is big name but will it be difficult to get a health care admin job in Chicago?

Thanks for the help. Not sure if this belongs in a new thread about Hopkins- or perhaps one already exists that I missed.

I am also very much interested in this discussion and have been thinking of Hopkins. My questions are:

do they give your scholarships for yr 1?
The internship in yr 2 that is paid- what is the pay level?
What is the avg starting salary for new grads?
Do those w.o prior hc xp have a chance of going straight into administration or is there any intermediate step (like consulting) that must be taken first?

Also I'm from Chicago. I know Hopkins is big name but will it be difficult to get a health care admin job in Chicago?

Thanks for the help. Not sure if this belongs in a new thread about Hopkins- or perhaps one already exists that I missed.

I live in Chicago and will be starting the MS-HSM program at Rush this fall. I have 2yrs experience as a pediatric respiratory therapist and 7yrs experience overall in health care.