healthcare policy books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruraldr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any good reading recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Understanding Health Policy A Clinical Apporach by Bodenheimer and Grumbach

This is a great (short) textbook offering basic structure of health care system. I found it to be a concise and understandable discussion of the development of medicine as a service industry (for better and for worse)

A Second Opinion by Arnold Relman

Written by former NEJM editor-in-chief this is well-written. Dr. Relman has strong opinions on the direction of medicine in the near future but should give you enough of a background to deal with any questions that might show up in interview (have only had one interview thus far--so maybe my advice isn't worth so much).

Reading these two I am pretty comfortable discussing nearly any part of medical system (that we would realistically be expected to know as premeds).

Best of luck!

thanks for the suggestions. :)

although I haven't read too much about healthcare, I decided to get back into casual reading and I've found Relman's "second opinion" to be pretty good in terms of history, current state, and the author's view on how to change it. kings hit it on the button when saying that it will prepare you for interviews.

it is a bit biased in terms of massive reform, but it's easily arguable that drastic steps need to be taken so that there aren't kids like me who can't track down their immunization records because they're split across 5 doctors who happened to be the lowest-cost-to-uninsured providers. Of course, I don't think that you'll find many doctors who publish books that say "we dont need to change the healthcare system." Relman makes sure to tell you that the "it will work itself out" camp are all economists and/or special interest groups.

It's a very interesting (and applicable) topic. Looking forward to seeing more recommendations on what I should read next.