IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
With a healthcare vote looming in the near future, just wanted to find out what you guys think about the possible reform.

I don't know all the details, but from what I gather it will decrease quality of care, give the gov't authority on who gets what treatment, increase the number of patients and decrease the number of doctors:

http://www.snohomishtimes.com/snohomishNEWS.cfm?inc=story&newsID=1088

Not to mention raise taxes, kill jobs, and increase premiums.

I have been on the fence about applying to med school, being 28 is one of the main reasons. If this thing goes into law, it will probably push me into the "no" side. This is a terrible thing in my opinion, since it will crush a lot of peoples' dreams, including mine. Sad part is that most don't even know the full extend of what will happen.

Just like to hear your thoughts.

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
Naa, wont change my direction but will make me more alert about healthcare legislation and possibly send me towards political action at some point. Regardless of the effects I think being a physician for a lot of non-trads is not only about the money or the job. (not just non-trads for that matter). I still love medicine and at this point think its a bit late to turn back now. It will however effect my decisions about specialties and such. A physicians salary regardless of this bill will probably still trump exercise physiologist or med techs. :p

DitchDoc73

5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It will not effect my decision to attend medical school. Besides it will be repealed by congress in a future session, or found unconstitutional before we ever graduate anyways!

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
It will not effect my decision to attend medical school. Besides it will be repealed by congress in a future session, or found unconstitutional before we ever graduate anyways!
We can only hope.

I was never worried about any salary differences after the reform, but about the quality of care that could be given and the overall day-to-day "politics" of the job that will be new. I'm no doctor, but you have to wonder why so many are wanting out of the profession if/when this goes through.

DitchDoc73

5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We can only hope.

I was never worried about any salary differences after the reform, but about the quality of care that could be given and the overall day-to-day "politics" of the job that will be new. I'm no doctor, but you have to wonder why so many are wanting out of the profession if/when this goes through.
My biggest concern (besides the blatant constitutional violoations and state sovereignty issues) is that many doctors will begin to stop accepting insurances with low reimbursement rates (i.e. medicare, medicaid, etc), and then the government will use this abomination of political power to require physicians to accept all patients regardless of the type of insurance / ability to pay for all services renderred.

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
My biggest concern (besides the blatant constitutional violoations and state sovereignty issues) is that many doctors will begin to stop accepting insurances with low reimbursement rates (i.e. medicare, medicaid, etc), and then the government will use this abomination of political power to require physicians to accept all patients regardless of the type of insurance / ability to pay for all services renderred.
exaaaaactly.

merely one fun fact you mention there