• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Heard from SIU recently?

About the Ads

CNU2020

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Chicago
    Hey,
    I interviewed on December 1. I got the "accept upon available seat" letter the week before Christmas. Since then, I hadn't gotten anything. So, I called last week and the person on the phone said the adcom wasn't meeting to make decisions on official acceptances until March 28. She also explained that all students who get the letter I recieved are ranked but said she couldn't tell me my rank. It was also somewhat unclear if the rank was a category type rank such as "immediate admit" or "delay" or if it is an actual number such as 87/352 or something similar. This kind of bummed me out because I would like to have the letter so I can start looking for housing with some certainty that I will actually be registered there next fall.

redruby

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jun 29, 2004
      CNU2020 said:
      Hey,
      I interviewed on December 1. I got the "accept upon available seat" letter the week before Christmas. Since then, I hadn't gotten anything. So, I called last week and the person on the phone said the adcom wasn't meeting to make decisions on official acceptances until March 28. She also explained that all students who get the letter I recieved are ranked but said she couldn't tell me my rank. It was also somewhat unclear if the rank was a category type rank such as "immediate admit" or "delay" or if it is an actual number such as 87/352 or something similar. This kind of bummed me out because I would like to have the letter so I can start looking for housing with some certainty that I will actually be registered there next fall.

So, is that a waitlist? I wonder if that means the class is full and they're only interviewing for the waitlist now. I really think schools should tell you if the class is already full- it sucks to time off from work, school, etc to go through the trouble to only find out you haven't even interviewed for an acceptance.

Saluki04

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Dec 24, 2004
        So I called the admissions office and they said that decisions from the Jan adcom meeting have not been mailed out yet, but should be by the end of this week.

From what I understand, if your file is reviewed favorably first you are put on the AWPA list, then when the adcom sends acceptances in November, January, and March/April (?), you have a good chance of getting an official acceptance letter. Yeah.

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
        Feb 7, 2005
        Midwest
        1. Attending Physician
          Saluki04 said:
          So I called the admissions office and they said that decisions from the Jan adcom meeting have not been mailed out yet, but should be by the end of this week.

From what I understand, if your file is reviewed favorably first you are put on the AWPA list, then when the adcom sends acceptances in November, January, and March/April (?), you have a good chance of getting an official acceptance letter. Yeah.
          That's the way I understand it to be also...The AWPA is not a waitlist, but rather a workaround for several AAMC rules/recommendations. Different schools handle the admissions differently. Basically, since schools are supposed to have issued "a number of acceptances at least equal to the size of its first-year class." by March 15, they are trying provide some sort of system of accomplishing this while still allowing themselves the maximum amount of flexibility. It kind of benefits the students quite a bit too. By getting the letter, the students know their file has been reviewed and that they have good chances of being officially accepted. It just kind of stinks to not have that certainty. Getting back to the AWPA, I'm not sure, but I think that if you are waitlisted, you get a different letter.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.