Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Hearing from Stony Brook

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by niceguy3521, Dec 5, 2005.

1. niceguy3521

niceguy3521 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Ok, I interviewed at Stony Brook in mid-October, it has now been over 7 weeks from interviewing with them and I still haven't heard anything. Has it taken this long for anyone else to hear from them or should I just give up all hope?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. snapshot

snapshot Member
    5+ Year Member

hey, i called yesterday b/c i interviewed on oct 21st and she said it will still be a "few months" before decisions are made. she checked my status and it still said 'under review' --- i was under the impression that they made decisions in 4-8 weeks! :mad:

4. sucksabigone

sucksabigone Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Don't be sad! I really don't think it means anything. I interview at WashU in late october and Stonybrook about 2 days later..i think it was like Oct 25 or 27, around then. I have not heard a peep from WashU and was accepted like the second week of Nov at Stonybrook...i honestly don't think there is any reasoning behind it other than random things like what order your file is in, when your interviewer is available, and whether or not the Gods like you. Waiting will drive anyone crazy but try not to worry, eventually we will know. :luck:

5. snapshot

snapshot Member
    5+ Year Member

thank you, that's reassuring :oops: i just hope it doesn't turn out to be a few MONTHS!

do you think u're going to go? what did you think of the school??

i really like everything about it ... except location. but, that's something i'm willing to lay to rest if it means i don't have to pay an extra $30,000 to live in nyc

6. sucksabigone

sucksabigone Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

well, as of right now it is my only acceptance so i will be there...but if i am accepted other places then these are my thoughts. the building scared me. it looks like you are on Mars and aliens are there to eat your organs. I kinda didn't want to get out of the car. That said, i liked the rest of the day. and i actually think the location has some big pluses. i live in the city now and i love it and i have tons of friends here...but i want to really be involved in Med school and not do what some of my Columbia friends do..which is hang out with their college friends every weekend..so i thikn the distance (a little over an hour) from the city could allow us to visit while making new lives. Plus i have a house in the hamptons....only like an hour and a half away...and if i go to Stonybrook my parents said they will give the keys and full reign of the house most weekends.....yahoo! big yahoo.

7. snapshot

snapshot Member
    5+ Year Member

YAHOO YAHOO YAHOO! :laugh:

here's hoping i get in to stony and you don't get in anywhere else. kidding kidding.

but, those are good points. i've just been aching to be in a city for a while. i don't know how feasible it will be to commute over there too often. but, i am easily the most distractable person on the planet, so some distance might be nice. thanks for the insight.

8. sucksabigone

sucksabigone Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I hope you get in!!! and i hope they tell you soon...waiting is worse than anything else. honestly, the thing that worried me the most about Stonybrook was that i was concerned that the students were a little older and more settled down. i know med school won't be like college (which i adored) but i'm only 22 and i want to have fun. did you get that vibe?

9. snapshot

snapshot Member
    5+ Year Member

hm..that's really interesting. i didn't get that when i visited, but i had a pretty odd day. i showed up in the morning, had my interview immediately, then went right to lunch/tour with one student. she's really the only person i met there - and though she was 22, she said she didn't go out, got up every morning at 4:30am (no joke) to play racquetball and lived in the garage apt of her sister's house... so i don't know how much that says about the youngn's in the group. i'm straight out of college, too and i def. am not settling down next year. (however, i wasn't digging their selling point of 'the undergrad campus is so close!'). i'm sure wherever we go, we'll find a chill group who will commute to the city on weekends :)

and earlier, when i said i was concerned about location, it was less the proximity to the city than the lack of absolutely anything in the immediate surrounding area. i'm in ithaca now, and though it's a small isolated town, i LOVE IT. there's so much culture and something to do a few blocks away. stony brook seemed to be a campus in the middle of a forest, surrounded by endless suburbs. it'd be nice to have somewhere to go on a weekday to take a break or on a weekend w/o driving an hr.

10. sucksabigone

sucksabigone Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

hahahaha. WE MET THE SAME GIRL!!!!!!!!! and although she was very very sweet. she frightened me!!! a) who lives with their sister? i love my sister but no way. b) who wakes up at 4:30???? for any reason that is not absolutely...punishable by death... required and c) honestly now, who doesn't go out? why? what is she doing?? (other than sleeping so she can wake up at 4:30 am..).

i know. i was living in princeton before and it was a small town but a really great one...but mostly because of Prospect Ave and entertainment provided by the school. I think port jefferson is suppossed to be okay and sorta cute and i hear a lot of med school kids live there. as long as there are liek 2 dive bars that we can go to and take random weekends into the city then we will survive. you have made me feel a lot better so now hurry up and get in :) i'll be sending major good luck vibes your way.

11. radioh3ad

radioh3ad march 18th
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

OMG I met the same girl too. She was so damn enthusiastic too. Really sold the school well. Was her name Melissa? I wanted to know more about what their clinical rotations are like tho, considering the LI population and the newish hospital. I've only lived in NY for a couple years, so I don't know much about LI.

I interviewed on the 17th of November and hope to hear from them soon.

12. gluon999

gluon999 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    To all those who already interviewed there, how was your interview? I've been reading the feedback forum and it seems like except for one particular interviewer (who a lot of people complained about), it seems pretty chill.

13. snapshot

snapshot Member
    5+ Year Member

yes, yes kids. we have all met the wonder that is melissa.

the interview day was pretty laid back. only one interview, which i was acutally surprised about. i had a guy that nobody knew, who grilled me about different hmos for an hour and then gave me ethics scnearios like: if you were working in an iraqi prison as a physician, how many times would you let the interrogators whip the prisoners in order to elicit info about nuclear weapon locations. (?!?!) so, i'm not sure how that went ... i heard a lot of people talking about interviewing with the dean (maybe?) who was supposedly AMAZING and very nice. and most of the other interviewees had very laid back experiences.

our tour was very short ... didn't see much of the hospital or the gross lab. but there's an escalator in the hospital which is kinda cool :) other than that, its a very short, stress-free kind of day. you leave with a huge folder of info. hope that helps - good luuuuuuck!! :p

14. gluon999

gluon999 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    getting grilled about hmos? Doesn't sound too laid back to me :scared:

But now that I've been accepted at another school, I won't sweat this interview. BTW, how many people interview there any given day and did most stay for that presentation at 12:00?

15. snapshot

snapshot Member
    5+ Year Member

hm...i'd say i was there with about 10 other people.

i don't recall a 'presentation'...

i had an interview at 9:30--> sitting around break room while 2nd/3rd year students talked to us (and other ppl went to their interviews) --> lunch came and our student took us and our food to the cafeteria --> then i left and ppl went to afternoon interviews

i think my grilling was the exception to the rule :oops:

16. crzynikki

crzynikki A beginning without end..
    10+ Year Member

Anyone else who interviewed on October 6 still waiting for a reply? Just wanna know that I'm not the only one...