hearing impaired dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody know of hearing impaired dentst? Or know of any hearing impaired pre dent students?

Would like to know there prespective on dental school

does anybody know of any schools that encourage students with impairments or disabilities to apply to there school

help me out here folks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see any problems with hearing impaired dentists. There are hearing impaired physicians and I would think being a physician with a disability would be a lot more difficult.

a very close friend of my parents is a DDS, and he has been slowly losing his hearing over the years. He has a hearing aid, and can hear fine with it in. He is no way hampered by the hearing loss, and is well respected in the community. Then again this dentist was hearing fine when he entered dental school. This reminds me of a DDS I met a few months ago. A pedo DDS, he has a cochlear implant, but he doesn't practice much any more, he is retired (b/c of age, not hearing). I think he still owns a large share of his practice, or just hangs out there b/c he has nothing else to do.

But as far as dental schools are concerned, I have no clue. This probably relates to the pre-MD forum, and SLU. Well, SLU's dental school clsoed up some time ago, so you don;t have to worry about them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen students and faculty with hearing aids here in dental school, so it is not impossible. In our gross anatomy lab, there is an article about a blind student who graduated at the top of his class as a bio major at Duke and went to Wisconsin medical school and was excelling there as well. Hey, if the blind student can make it to med school, why can't the hearing impaired succeed dentistry? They can!

A blind student? Wow. Not being rude, but I would have a problem with someone blind working on my teeth. Did this person specialize?

We have a deaf student here at the U of MN. She is the third deaf or hearing impaired student to make it through the program. So it definitely can be done.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you make it through the lecture when you can't hear anything??

Comet208 said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you make it through the lecture when you can't hear anything??

Most of the time, if the person is fully deaf, then they might have a digital voice recorder that the professor would have attached to the microphone he or she is using. This way the person could see everything the professor is saying on a monitor, (laptop). The voice/message is converted into text. This is the high tech way, then there is just plain old note taking from another person, who is hired to write notes for the deaf person. Its amazing how technology has evolved!

hockeydentist said:
anybody know of hearing impaired dentst? Or know of any hearing impaired pre dent students?

does anybody know of any schools that encourage students with impairments or disabilities to apply to there school

help me out here folks

I failed the hearing test couple yrs ago during my physical exam for Navy's recruitment. I'm still doing ok in class. I often ask people to repeat their questions or talk louder.

hockeydentist said:

help me out here folks

HUH ??? hahahahahhha :laugh:

I would think that sight and at least one hand would be more important.

Course if you talk funny you may have a hard time attracting patients.

Work somewhere rural where the people would be glad to just have a dentist that would help.

Plus patients would always say, man that dentist just wont LISTEN to a thing I have to say !!! :laugh:

Comet208 said:
\

HEY BUD dont apoligize for asking anything from these people.

I think if you cant hear you would end up running someones practice in the ground before they could fire you.

And dont be politically correct people !!!

I AM SPEAKING THE TRUTH !

divertete said:
I found this article a few days ago purely by accident, but after some hunting, I found it again! I haven't read the whole thing, but it certainly seems applicable to this thread -- a thorough discussion of the challenges and rights of students trying to pursue professions in the health sciences. Hope it's informative.

Students who are deaf and hard of hearing in health sciences programs

great article, thanks again divertete!

HD