Hearing Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shimano12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am planning on attending medical school next year and have just recently become very interested in going the military route with my medical school costs.

Slight problem.
I am completely deaf in my left ear. It has stopped me from nothing in life. From collegiate athletics to my performance in the classroom, my hearing problem has been nothing but a notation on my physical. But, the military is all about these physicals so will this problem not allow me to apply for the military scholarship?

thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I am planning on attending medical school next year and have just recently become very interested in going the military route with my medical school costs.

Slight problem.
I am completely deaf in my left ear. It has stopped me from nothing in life. From collegiate athletics to my performance in the classroom, my hearing problem has been nothing but a notation on my physical. But, the military is all about these physicals so will this problem not allow me to apply for the military scholarship?

thanks guys

Suspect this will preclude joining. Hearing loss in one ear prevents localization of sound, correct? That can be important if someone is shooting at you (and the rules are designed with that in mind). But you can always ask for a waiver.

BTW, med school costs are a BAD reason to sign up.

My question deals with my eligibility not my reason to join.

There are many other reasons for my desire to join, obviously.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question deals with my eligibility not my reason to join.

There are many other reasons for my desire to join, obviously.

Agree with Gastrapathy. Deafness in one ear is a preclusion. Waiver is very unlikely.

I know for sure that USUHS requires good hearing in both ears. Since they are a military school that trains for every branch of the service this standard is almost certain to apply to all branches of the HPSP scholarship as well.

Sorry that you don't qualify for military medicine, best of luck pursing your dreams.

Man, thats rough.

I thought since it was some what of a special field there may be someway around it.

So no chance of a waiver then?

bumppp

anyone have any experience with waivers

bumppp

anyone have any experience with waivers

My unit medically retired a Marine after he acquired deafness in one ear (mortar exploded near him in Iraq). That was after they invested lots of money training him. So I think it will be next to impossible to be waivered in with deafness in one ear.

If you decide to try your hand at it, Army would probably be most likely to approve the waiver because they have the greatest shortage of physicians. An army HPSP recruiter could probably answer this. They won't even take you to get a physical if they know they will not be able to get you a waiver. Good luck!

NavyFP answered your question. It's unwaiverable.

Yes, I realize that.

Army recruiter said to come in and discuss options. But, I think the opportunities would lie outside of the HPSP/Medical field.

I dont take this restriction too well.

At the age of 5 my parents were told that I would need assistance walking for the rest of my life after a car crash... In high school I ran a 4.5 forty yard dash.

Despite my hearing I play collegiate football where my hearing allows me to hear audibles at the line of scrimmage despite the 70 thousand plus screaming fans.

When I was 11 I was diagnosed with a learning disability and yet I've carried a 3.9 gpa in college. I received a 2350 on my sats.

My hearing has failed to stop me in anything thus far.

I can understand the logical problem of location of sound. But, that is all I have known and I guarantee I can delineate sound like everyone else.

. But, that is all I have known and I guarantee I can delineate sound like everyone else.

Sorry, but you can't. No more than I could have played college football. Its not their job to be fair. Just ask the kid who can't fly jets cause he got a kidney stone when he was 12.

If you really want in, finish residency and ask to join. I'd bet they would take you then.

Shimano,

You certainly have an inspiring story.

AR 40-501, chapter 2, governs induction standards for officers and enlisted. It is a set of Regulations that you can look up for yourself online.
Your hearing problem is disqualifying, as others have stated.

I am a Flight Surgeon, not a MEPS doc, but I think that you ought to try for a waiver. The worst they can say is no. Tell them your story, gather the necessary documents and go for it.

This might be waiverable. There was a guy on here a while ago who got a waiver for hydrocephalus with a shunt. You need to consider this, however. Even if you do get in (long-shot), you would be absolutely restricted from things like Aviation and would almost certainly be non-deployable.

The best thing about MilMed, to me, is being able to serve in the Operational units with the guys on the Line. I cannot imagine being stuck in a non-deployable billet at a MEDCEN or MEDDAC somewhere. But that is just me, and many of those Docs do very necessary and noble work in spite of the bureaucratic impediments placed in front of them.

Gastrapathy's suggestion to join after residency or internship is also a good one. You will be holding more cards at that point and they'd be more willing to take you so they can begin abusing you immediately.

Good luck to you.

61N