Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Heart/Lung Transplants

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by AlexRusso, May 2, 2004.

1. AlexRusso

AlexRusso Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was wondering what fellowships do you need to complete to become a heart or heart/lung transplant surgeon? Would you need to do a fellowship in Transplants and in CT, and if so does it matter what order you do them in?

Also on a slightly different topic..what if you wanted to do padiatric cardiac surgery (i.e. fixing congenital heart defects) what fellowships would you need then? Peds or CT or both and in what order?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aboo-ali-sina

aboo-ali-sina Member
    7+ Year Member

CT fellowship. If you do it at a place that is high volume in transplants, you can become UNOS certified in your program without an additional fellowship. Otherwise, you will need to do another year in a thoracic transplant program to become UNOS certified

4. DrDre'

DrDre' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    People who religiously or obsessively surf these forums get used to having "silly" or redundant questions asked. They bother me to. But why be so mean? It wasn't a troll-like question or statement.

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As DrDre notes, there is no room on these forums (especially those Moderated by me) for condescension. Anyone, pre-med, med student or beyond is welcome to ask questions. Do they get repetitive? Yes. But that's part of the process. Please do not belittle those who ask genuine questions and those who try and help them. A simple answer will suffice.

6. Mongo

Mongo Member
    5+ Year Member

This post wasn't actually done by me. I think I left my account up on my school computers and someone came in and used them early this morning to post this and another post in this subsection. I'm very sorry that I have a$$holes at my school.

--Mongo

7. thenavysurgeon

thenavysurgeon Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I trained in an academic center.

You do gen surg, then CT fellowship. Board certified CT docs can do the transplants. You don't need an additional fellowship. I was standing there in the OR with these guys doing the transplants when i was a resident.

Why someone would want to do this for a living is beyond me. Its a nightmare practice. Your income will be generated through general CT cases (CABG etc..) and you'll be on call for transplants. There is almost nobody doing H/L transplant full-time...

TNS

8. cooldreams

cooldreams American Mensa Member :)
    7+ Year Member

hmm ... remember a time when heart transplants were a thing of fiction?... wonder what it will be like with brain transplants?? ....... :eek: :confused: :scared:

9. Blake

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a feeling I'll be around for the first brain transplant. Now, if I could only be a neurosurgeon at that time...