Heart rate vs pulse rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boomboom2dolla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope somebody can help me out with these concepts.
1) Whats the diffrence between heart rate and pulse rate?
2) If losing weight decreases hypertension (lowers cardiac output to body bec less tissue to feed blood to) means lower hr, then how come a smaller animal can't have a lower pulse rate than bigger animal? (this is assuming that heart rate and pulse goes hand in hand)

Members don't see this ad.

I hope somebody can help me out with these concepts.
1) Whats the diffrence between heart rate and pulse rate?
2) If losing weight decreases hypertension (lowers cardiac output to body bec less tissue to feed blood to) means lower hr, then how come a smaller animal can't have a lower pulse rate than bigger animal? (this is assuming that heart rate and pulse goes hand in hand)

for your first question you can check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate
second question:
small animals have shorter cycle for thier blood circulation and blood back to the heart faster than big animals therefor heart must beat faster to recirculate the blood in their body.

Last edited:
im not 100% sure but for heart rate vs pulse rate...the heart rate is a lot more but due to control by the vagus nerve the pulse rate is about half? again not 100% sure...

Generally Heart Rate and Pulse rate are interchangeable
You could make a semantic argument that HR refers to electrical cycles and pulse refers to palpable flow due to contraction of the heart.
In theory your HR can be higher than your pulse rate if you have moments of electrical activity that do not generate muscular contraction

In the heart the lub dub is caused by the blood pushing back on the av valves & the semilunar valves before and after contraction.
1) For a pulse whats making that sound that you hear? Wiki said something about pressure waves as blood moves down the arteries but i'm still not sure how that causes the sound.

2) Also, is the force of contraction from left ventricle pushing blood into aorta then into arteries is whats pushing blood all the way to the capillaries or am I missing something else?

Ohh 1 last thing, if pulse and heart rate is kind of the same then how come there is the lub dub in the heart but for the pulse its just one repeating dub?

thanks for any reply

Last edited: