heat of hydrogenation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drzakisadiq

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Earlier I posted a thread saying that the more exothermic the heat of hydrogenation, the more stabe it is, and I just wanted to post that I was wrong on that one...

Correct Part:
Heat of hydrogenation is the energy released when a pi bond is converted to a sigma bond by the addition of hydrogen. The greater the heat of hydrogenation, the greater the potential energy it has. More potential energy means less stability. Therefore, the least stable molecule will release the most energy upon hydrogenation. THE MORE EXOTHERMIC, THE LESS STABLE.

Members don't see this ad.

how do you determine what has the greatest heat of hydrogenation when you are given various alkenes?

yeah, how do you determine?

You would look at where the double bonds are in relation to each other. Cumulated double bonds are the least stable (highest heat of hydrogenation) and conjugated double bonds are the most stable. (lowest heat of hydrogenation) Isolated bonds are in the middle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, terminal double or triple bonds are less stable then internal double or triple bonds.

You would look at where the double bonds are in relation to each other. Cumulated double bonds are the least stable (highest heat of hydrogenation) and conjugated double bonds are the most stable. (lowest heat of hydrogenation) Isolated bonds are in the middle.

wWhat are cumulated bonds?

That means cis will have a higher heat of hydrogenation than trans as cis is less stable than trans. Am I correct?