Heating Mantle's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasonE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
weird question coming up i know, but do any of you guys remember how hot those heating mantles in ochem lab get up to? im curious whether or not they can heat a liquid/oil up to 200 C

Members don't see this ad.

In many cases, yes. It depends on the size and quality of the heating mantle, though. This might seem obvious, but you'd also need something with a boiling point of at least 200 C as well.

Why're you asking us? If you really need something that hot, it should be done in a chem lab, not in your kitchen, BTW.

Members don't see this ad :)
200 C is generally well, well within range of heating mantles settings, although cheep ones may tend to start breaking if used a lot that high and you may need to wrap in foil to actually heat to those temperatures.

yes for meth, lol. no i was looking at an ochem lab that i thought our school might try out but it had a step that needed high heating. wasn't sure if the mantles did it. they wanted to use an oil bath which standard of course, but too dangerous/messy for the average undergraduate