Heavy cramming or more FL practice 1 week before exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balopathic45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
My test is on sep. 12 and so far I've taken a few TPR and kaplan exams and scored fine on them but I have found myself forgetting little things here and there that are easy points. Does anyone recommend re-cramming a week before the exam or should I just stick to my FL practice regimen?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
My test is on sep. 12 and so far I've taken a few TPR and kaplan exams and scored fine on them but I have found myself forgetting little things here and there that are easy points. Does anyone recommend re-cramming a week before the exam or should I just stick to my FL practice regimen?

Thanks!
If you find yourself trying to remember things just to see if you still know the information, then don't take this too heart if you have a hard time recalling information off the top of your head. The important thing is if you can recall the difference between different answer choices. I would always have words popping my my head and I would often panic if I couldn't remember what something meant, but that is nothing to worry about. However, I spent the week two weeks prior to my exams just studying everything I feld was high yield or I felt I may be weak in.

For example; I felt like the laboratory methods of sampling and testing were very important concepts and techniques to memorize since every passage nearly is research based. I spent a whole week looking at Khan Academy videos, just browsing and looking at video titles and if I came across a topic I felt uncomfortable with I would watch enough videos in that area to feel up to par and then move on to the next.

My last ditch study method I mentioned above is what made B/BC so easy on the actual MCAT exam. If you aren't burned out I would just keep studying high yield material and going over as much as possible in the areas for which you find are your weakest points.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm one week from my test and don't even know what you're referring to here. :confused:

*changes test date*
Well, in the case that you aren't being sarcastic I will go ahead and tell you I am talking about learning how PCR, Western blotting, chromatography, etc. work. Know how they separate, mutate, and duplicate genes/DNA/proteins. Go to Khan Academy and click on MCAT section, then find "Laboratory Techniques" and watch all of those videos. Believe me, it will work wonders for you.

Well, in the case that you aren't being sarcastic I will go ahead and tell you I am talking about learning how PCR, Western blotting, chromatography, etc. work. Know how they separate, mutate, and duplicate genes/DNA/proteins. Go to Khan Academy and click on MCAT section, then find "Laboratory Techniques" and watch all of those videos. Believe me, it will work wonders for you.

Ah. I didn't know what exactly was being sampled and tested.

Southern blotting is on the outline. Western is not.

Do you think you could put the link here? I'm actually trying to find "Laboratory Techniques" but cannot find it for whatever reason... Are you referring to the "Separations and Purifications" under Chemistry and "DNA Technology" under Biomolecules? If not then any enlightenment on your part would be much appreciated

If you find yourself trying to remember things just to see if you still know the information, then don't take this too heart if you have a hard time recalling information off the top of your head. The important thing is if you can recall the difference between different answer choices. I would always have words popping my my head and I would often panic if I couldn't remember what something meant, but that is nothing to worry about. However, I spent the week two weeks prior to my exams just studying everything I feld was high yield or I felt I may be weak in.

For example; I felt like the laboratory methods of sampling and testing were very important concepts and techniques to memorize since every passage nearly is research based. I spent a whole week looking at Khan Academy videos, just browsing and looking at video titles and if I came across a topic I felt uncomfortable with I would watch enough videos in that area to feel up to par and then move on to the next.

My last ditch study method I mentioned above is what made B/BC so easy on the actual MCAT exam. If you aren't burned out I would just keep studying high yield material and going over as much as possible in the areas for which you find are your weakest points.

that's literally exactly how I feel haha

Do you think you could put the link here? I'm actually trying to find "Laboratory Techniques" but cannot find it for whatever reason... Are you referring to the "Separations and Purifications" under Chemistry and "DNA Technology" under Biomolecules? If not then any enlightenment on your part would be much appreciated
Yes, exactly.

I did content review again a week before theexam....days 1,2,3...hardcore review....day 4 FL...day 5 quick review FL and any other topics that you struggle with...day 6 relax. Day 7 kick ass.

I tried to relax the last week and not taking any more practice exams. I scored really high on my last FL and didn't want to risk stressing out over a dip in score on another. I'd recommend doing passages and quizzing yourself over and over. I wrote out equations and memory aids the last few days.