1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Hector and the Search for Happiness (2014)

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by kirkirkir, Jul 28, 2015.

1. kirkirkir

2+ Year Member

Anyone see this movie? It's on netflix and it's about a young psychiatrist. Any thoughts? Is this an accurate depiction of life as a psychiatrist?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. shan564

shan564 Below the fray
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    By no means is this even a remotely accurate picture of life as a psychiatrist for most people. A minority of psychiatrists still do psychoanalysis. And the inpatient psych facility depicted in that movie was also quite unrealistic. And his disenchantment is fun to watch, but it's also atypical for real psychiatrists because the practice setting doesn't foster development of that, unlike what is in the movie. One of the fatal flaws is the idea that the psychiatrist's job is to "make people happy" - our job is to treat mental illness, and the process that we use is quite different from what the Hollywood psychoanalyst does. We don't aim to make people "happy," we aim to make people asymptomatic. Usually, the two go hand in hand - but I rarely think "what can I do to make this person happier?" Instead, I might think something like "how can I improve the dysfunctional thought patterns in this person's brain?" (whether we do that by manipulating their cognitive thought patterns, their neurochemistry, their cortical electrophysiology, their social situation, or whatever)

That said, I absolutely loved the movie. It's now one of my favorites.

Ceke2002 likes this.
  4. Ceke2002

Ceke2002 Purveyor of Strange
    7+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    One pet hate that my Psychiatrist and I actually share is this notion of enforced happiness, like being in treatment, or therapy, or even trying to become a whole and emotionally healthy person is always tied to this notion that you're somehow incomplete if you haven't achieved 'happiness'. We actually spend more time working on me learning to not walk around with a mask of happiness glued to my face all the time, because other emotions are just as valid and necessary for growth.

5. MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I almost universally hate movies about psychiatrists. I really liked this one. I usually hate them because they are not at all realistic. This one isn’t realistic either, but it isn’t offensive. I also like the actor. I mean with roles like Scotty and Sean of the Dead, how can you go wrong? Definitely worth a view.

Shikima and shan564 like this.
  6. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Seriously? Simon Pegg as a psychiatrist???

Now I know what I'm watching this weekend!

Shikima and Member 1337 like this.
  7. MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's his name. It isn't great great, but it's worth a watch.

8. shan564

shan564 Below the fray
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah, I like the fact that they don't try to pretend that it's realistic. I liked the movie because I liked the movie - the psychiatric connection was a side thing.

9. Shikima

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Anyone see Simon Pegg as drunk Ron Weasley?

10. Shikima

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  11. Ceke2002

Ceke2002 Purveyor of Strange
    7+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    This movie made me kinda sad. Poor Hector, he was so uniquely quirky and adorable in the beginning, I just wanted to take him home and cuddle him to death, but then he goes on some stupid stereotypical happiness finding journey and turns into a walking cheese fest.

Shikima likes this.
  12. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OK--saw it. Enjoyable evening, found Hector quite likeable. About lost my sh-t on the whole pseudo-color EEG feelings crap, though--even though I kept chanting to myself "it's just a plot device...it's just a plot device...." That said, I was surprised to see how well Pegg played the emotional content--have never seen him that way before.

Ceke2002 likes this.
  13. Dharma

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Watched it last night. Enjoyable movie. NOT about psychiatry but I think it relays a few gems about traveling through life. That said, that EEG thing hit a 10/10 on the cheesy scale (although the monk's comment is thought provoking).

kirkirkir likes this.