Heeelp! Dental Experience Mistake!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just submitted my app and realized that I made the mistake of not putting in how many hours I shadowed my dentsit!! Which is close to 400 hours!!! I shadowed him for about a year and still do from time to time. Guys how do I fix this??? What should I do? Can I call AADSAS up or something and have them fix it??? I mean its a pretty big thing becaus eI wrote that I shadowed and even assisted sometimes but did not write how many hours at all!
*EDIT* Damn it guys now I am freaking out. I dont have any research experience and was really counting on the fact that I shadowed for so long and I completely did not write any hours there! What should I do? Welp!

Members don't see this ad.

you can call addsas dont email takes way to long..... and ask them to fill it in and hopefully your application isnt sent; or you can get the Dentist you shadowed to right the hours in the refernce letter.!!!! hope that helps.

JohnDoeDDS said:
So I just submitted my app and realized that I made the mistake of not putting in how many hours I shadowed my dentsit!! Which is close to 400 hours!!! I shadowed him for about a year and still do from time to time. Guys how do I fix this??? What should I do? Can I call AADSAS up or something and have them fix it??? I mean its a pretty big thing becaus eI wrote that I shadowed and even assisted sometimes but did not write how many hours at all!
*EDIT* Damn it guys now I am freaking out. I dont have any research experience and was really counting on the fact that I shadowed for so long and I completely did not write any hours there! What should I do? Welp!

Well, i assume your dentist wrote you a LOR. I would further assume that your dentist would mention something like...in the 4 years that john doe has been here at..or something along those lines. so if you ask me, i think there is a chance you wont even have to worry about it. If you want to be safe, ask your dentist if hey included that bit of info, then even if your app is sent out already (i highly doubt this bc aadsas is slow), you'l still be alright.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can ask aadsas if they'll write it in. If not, just call or e-mail all the schools you applied to and let them know. For the most part, every school is willing to help you out and make a note on your application about that. Don't panic! haha... if aadsas won't fix it, the schools definitely will.

thanks everyone. I called AADSAS and yea they said they can not fix it.I think its totally ******ed that they can't even fix something after I e-submitted even though it hasnt been printed out yet.

Now you think the school will not frown upon this if I call them up and tell them to add the hours for me? They wont think Im irresponsible or something? Also I should wait until they actually recieve the application right? I will not be taking my DATs until end of August so they wont look at it without the DAT score anyway right?

JohnDoeDDS said:
thanks everyone. I called AADSAS and yea they said they can not fix it.I think its totally ******ed that they can't even fix something after I e-submitted even though it hasnt been printed out yet.

Now you think the school will not frown upon this if I call them up and tell them to add the hours for me? They wont think Im irresponsible or something? Also I should wait until they actually recieve the application right? I will not be taking my DATs until end of August so they wont look at it without the DAT score anyway right?

stop stressin out. it's really not that big of a deal. your dentist should have included how many hrs in your LOR.

now you're even starting to bad mouth AADSAS when you were the one that left out the information to begin with..... if it was such an integral part of your application, then why did you forget it?

WS :)

i agree - i don't think it is such a big deal. if you don't get an interview it will be mainly due to your gpa and dat scores and if/when you do interview you can tell them about the hours.

yea you guys are right. My GPA is good ~3.6 and BCP is 3.85 or 4.0 w/o the +/-.

Time to destroy the DAT.

JohnDoeDDS said:
yea you guys are right. My GPA is good ~3.6 and BCP is 3.85 or 4.0 w/o the +/-.

Time to destroy the DAT.

Yeah good luck on the DAT. I suggest you send an addendum to the schools with something simple like "I have just finished up shadowing Dr. xxxx and would like to make an addendum to my application by...."

They won't hold it against you. They could quasi think that you continued to shadow past the application submission date and aren't doing it just for the application...ya never know!