Heine 2.5 or DFV 3.5EF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glimmer1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Halp! :eek:

Money isn't an issue. They're an investment. I just want to get the best/right ones.

Should I go with a Lumadent or just get one of their lights? I mean, saving 100 or 200 bucks just seems like splitting hairs if getting the package deal might make things easier for me in the future.

3.5x seems like a lot, and a lot of my classmates are leaning towards 2.5x... but I don't want to be wishing for something else within a few months.

Yes, this is probably better for the dental forum, but folks look at this one more. :)

P.S. DENTAL SCHOOL IS HARD Y'ALL! LOL. Back to studying gross anatomy...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Glimmer, feel free to send me a PM on here and I'll go into a lot more detail on this (I know you're an NC person, happy to meet with you in person at UNC if that's where you ended up--sorry, can't remember if you chose ECU or UNC, both great schools!!!).

For the benefit of others seeing this, I would say: I am a 3rd year and know of a lot of classmates itching to upgrade from their original 2.5x's. The company's really push those to start with for a variety of reasons, many of which I personally don't put a lot of stock in. I started with 3.5x and will be purchasing either 4.8 or 6.0's before I leave school (have to take advantage of that student discount!). I know many classmates who will be doing the same. In my personal opinion, 2.5x is a hell of a lot better than nothing, but ultimately kinda worthless. It's good to get used to some magnification, but after a few months you are going to want more. I would advise everyone to start at 3.5x. I'm sure there are some that would disagree, but thats my opinion, and I know many classmates/faculty that would agree!

I was considering DFV 3.1s I think. Just got a lumadent light. I want to look at Orascoptics but they are always so busy when they are around haha. PS for some reason I feel dental school is easier than undergrad...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've decided to go with DFV 3.5EF with the Buddy Holly frames. I'm also getting a LumaDent light.

I'll have to report back in a while and let everyone know how they are! :)

We just had a presentation on loupes today.

2.5x seems what everyone recommends, but upperclassmen say to get 3x.

@Glimmer1991 Def report back on that 3.5x one! I would like to know if the field of vision gets a lot smaller due to the higher magnification, and if that would be an issue when you want to see the bigger picture.

Dfv 3.5x is the better choice but if i had to do it again, id buy zeiss 3.5x...flip ups let you have the steepest angle of decline...my dfv makes me bow my head making my neck strained...

2.5x is more than enough. you're not doing major endo so anything more than that is a waste IMO.

but then again, there are people who can't see with 2.5x, and then there are those who don't need loupes period. see what works for you.

We just had a presentation on loupes today.

2.5x seems what everyone recommends, but upperclassmen say to get 3x.

@Glimmer1991 Def report back on that 3.5x one! I would like to know if the field of vision gets a lot smaller due to the higher magnification, and if that would be an issue when you want to see the bigger picture.

I'm getting the expanded field. :)