Heine retinoscope parastop feature?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scvcstar

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I was wondering...does anybody know how to use the Parastop feature on the Heine retinoscopes? This is what the brochure says, but it doesn't say how to use it since they're just trying to sell you the product. I've been playing with it in pre-clinic but can't figure it out.

Heine ParaStop for total precision in selecting a parallel beam.

The BETA200 Retinoscope with ParaStop and the latest in multi-coated optics provides an exceptionally-bright fundus reflex for improved accuracy of diagnosis.

ParaStop was designed and developed to simplify precise selection of a parallel illumination beam. ParaStop simplifies and speeds up the precise detection of cylinder axis. ParaStop also simplifies the verification of the cylinder correction after refraction.​

If ParaStop really does help in refining the cyl axis...that'd be great, since that's the only thing I'm struggling with in my retinoscopy skills. I'm planning to purchase Welch-Allyn though, so this isn't really that important, but it could help everytime we do ret in pre-clinic!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I was wondering...does anybody know how to use the Parastop feature on the Heine retinoscopes? This is what the brochure says, but it doesn't say how to use it since they're just trying to sell you the product. I've been playing with it in pre-clinic but can't figure it out.

Heine ParaStop for total precision in selecting a parallel beam.

The BETA200 Retinoscope with ParaStop and the latest in multi-coated optics provides an exceptionally-bright fundus reflex for improved accuracy of diagnosis.

ParaStop was designed and developed to simplify precise selection of a parallel illumination beam. ParaStop simplifies and speeds up the precise detection of cylinder axis. ParaStop also simplifies the verification of the cylinder correction after refraction.​

If ParaStop really does help in refining the cyl axis...that'd be great, since that's the only thing I'm struggling with in my retinoscopy skills. I'm planning to purchase Welch-Allyn though, so this isn't really that important, but it could help everytime we do ret in pre-clinic!

Hrm, I've never used the parastop on my heine, in fact I had forgotten it was even there. If I need help finding the axis I usually just push the sleeve all the way up, that's usually helpful enough. But I guess I'll try using the parastop next time, thanks for the tip.:thumbup:

Oh I think I figured it out. When you push the parastop down, it makes it so you can't push the sleeve all the way up, but only halfway up, so you have a skinny beam. Then you just rotate the sleeve around (without sweeping) until the beam lines up with the reflex, and that should be the axis. It actually worked for me yesterday! =) Still buying Welch-Allyn though...I could just manually put the sleeve halfway up myself haha. Heine's not bad though, very bright reflex.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was in your shoes, I looked ahead to the BIO purchase because I wanted to get "valued customer points" or something of that effect. You might want to consider that if you're 50/50 on which hand-held you want to get. Your BIO purchase will be much bigger, and at least in my class, nobody got Welch-Allyn... Just my $0.02, hope it helps!

Interesting! In my class, nobody got Heine and most people got Welch-Allyn. Quite a few were on the fence between WA and Keeler, including me. The class ahead of us (2nd years) have 1 Heine, mostly WAs, and a good number of Keelers.

I ended up ordering the WA and hope I'll like it. I figured you can grow to love any of the diagnostic sets, and since I splurged on the new Heine Unplugged Wireless BIO, I'd give my wallet a break on the diag. =) The new LED and Slimline Battery Keeler VantagePlus was quite tempting though, I must say!!

the parastop function allows a parallel beam of light to exit the retinoscope to allow you to more precisely locate the axis of the cylinder, which you guys have already figured out. personally i don't know if it's really all that helpful because with experience you can differentiate the meridians without the use of the parastop. but overall i'm a pretty big fan of heine their build quality is second to none the skinny handles for the diagnostic are very elegant and allow for ease of use, particularly if you have smaller hands. also their BIOs are fabulous, shame they dont have wireless yet though but i heard it will be debuting the near future.

also their BIOs are fabulous, shame they dont have wireless yet though but i heard it will be debuting the near future.
The future is now. (I own this BIO, and am loving it so far.)
indirekte_ophthalmoskope_mood_bild_1_reference.jpg