Helix near Western.....noisy from the train???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Is it true that if you live in Helix, you'll have to hear the train go by once every 30 min while it honks 4 times each time? I read this on another thread and wanted to re-confirm this before considering other places to live.

Does anyone know someone who lives in Helix and how the noise level from the train and from the neighbors are like?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
Is it true that if you live in Helix, you'll have to hear the train go by once every 30 min while it honks 4 times each time? I read this on another thread and wanted to re-confirm this before considering other places to live.

Does anyone know someone who lives in Helix and how the noise level from the train and from the neighbors are like?

Thanks.

The crossings through pomona have been designated as quiet zones. This is SUPPOSED to mean that the trains don't honk. Does that mean they abide by it? Pffff. Whenever I'm on campus it seems like 1/2 of the trains abide by it.

Aside from that... don't live at the helix dude. My friends who lived there during 1st year couldn't wait until their lease was up to get the hell out. They constantly complained of feeling trapped 'on campus' all the time, and having their windows shot at by passers by with BB guns. That is aside from the multiple vehicle break-ins that occur in the lot where most people who live at the helix park their cars.

If you really want to be somewhat close to campus, live in upland, claremont, diamond bar, chino hills, etc...

Personally, I prefer the coast.

The crossings through pomona have been designated as quiet zones. This is SUPPOSED to mean that the trains don't honk. Does that mean they abide by it? Pffff. Whenever I'm on campus it seems like 1/2 of the trains abide by it.

Aside from that... don't live at the helix dude. My friends who lived there during 1st year couldn't wait until their lease was up to get the hell out. They constantly complained of feeling trapped 'on campus' all the time, and having their windows shot at by passers by with BB guns. That is aside from the multiple vehicle break-ins that occur in the lot where most people who live at the helix park their cars.

If you really want to be somewhat close to campus, live in upland, claremont, diamond bar, chino hills, etc...

Personally, I prefer the coast.

thats what i thought... when i went there for interview, 8 in the morning, i heard the train honking...twice
i live 30 min away and i think ima commute, plus the traffic shouldn't be too bad

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the sound of trains! I've always lived near one, so it's like home to me. But others say it is very annoying.

I don't think I'd mind Helix if there was no car break in issues. Without a secure parking structure, I'd be scared to park there. I'd really like to keep the commute below 10 minutes. I'm hoping that I'd be able to get Clairmont or Diamond Bar. I tried looking for stuff on Craigslist just to get an idea. But, I'm not finding a whole lot for those two cities. I think I may have to come up and brows around one of these weekends.

I don't know how you do it from the coast, Cyclohexanol. If I remember correctly, you live west from Western U. So, I'm thinking Santa Monica or Venice. Isn't traffic on East 10 to downtown bad in the morning? After passing downtown, you are going against traffic. But until you pass downtown, I'm sure traffic is a nightmare!

I don't think I'd mind Helix if there was no car break in issues. Without a secure parking structure, I'd be scared to park there. I'd really like to keep the commute below 10 minutes. I'm hoping that I'd be able to get Clairmont or Diamond Bar. I tried looking for stuff on Craigslist just to get an idea. But, I'm not finding a whole lot for those two cities. I think I may have to come up and brows around one of these weekends.

I don't know how you do it from the coast, Cyclohexanol. If I remember correctly, you live west from Western U. So, I'm thinking Santa Monica or Venice. Isn't traffic on East 10 to downtown bad in the morning? After passing downtown, you are going against traffic. But until you pass downtown, I'm sure traffic is a nightmare!

Southwest, specifically - Long Beach (hence the LBC under my avatar). 22E to 57N, usually zero traffic. Sometimes there will be a 5-10 minute snafu getting onto the 57N, but generally no. Takes 45min-1hr (I think its about 46 miles), which works great for me because it gives me time to listen to Goljan. Coming home usually takes a little longer just because of the time of day.

Next year will be a little different, I have 6 months of rotations at arrowhead which is 78 miles from my place, but in my experience so far it takes about 1hr20min, so its not too bad.

However, I do know quite a few people who commute from Santa Monica, Westwood, WeHo, et al. so its not just me. I also know a 4th year I know who drives out from Santa Monica to Arrowhead for rotations.

But again, if you aren't into commuting, check out claremont, diamond bar, upland, chino hills, rancho cucamonga, etc..

:thumbup:

BTW, I lived at "The Crest" in phillips ranch during first year, it was pretty decent and quite a few students lived there as well. Might want to check it out if you haven't yet.

Hey guys/gals,
I was in Pomona a few weekends ago looking around at the school and neighborhoods that I would potentially live in. I was curious about any neighborhoods north of school butted up against the foothills. I was hoping to steer clear of the middle of "smog valley" with some sort of nature/outdoors/open space nearby. Any suggestions?

Hey guys/gals,
I was in Pomona a few weekends ago looking around at the school and neighborhoods that I would potentially live in. I was curious about any neighborhoods north of school butted up against the foothills. I was hoping to steer clear of the middle of "smog valley" with some sort of nature/outdoors/open space nearby. Any suggestions?

Upland, Claremont, San Dimas are all kinda like that (some nature/outdoors stuff nearby). Upland is right up against the foothills, parts of claremont are. San Dimas is kinda on a foothill, and before another foothill. Places to go that come to mind are Puddingstone lake rec area in San Dimas, Mount Baldy north of Upland. If you're into rock climbing, you can take a day or two and head out to Joshua Tree (about 2 hours away). Lake Arrowhead isn't too far either, but it's another one of those things you'd have to take a day or two off to go enjoy.

Unfortunately, because of the topography of the area, the smog from LA basin gets blown eastward and bottlenecked over the inland empire because of the mountains, which act kinda like a giant smog bowl. So in general, the air throughout the inland empire isn't the greatest. But if you go up into the mountains, you can usually get up above the smog and enjoy reduced smog nature/outdoors/open space.

Welcome to the IE.