Helllpppp Meeee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMeddie87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Science GPA: 3.64
Cum. GPA: 3.67
Bio Major, Junior @ a Public University

Taking the MCATs in the summer
Have Research Experience, Job-Shaddow Experience, Worked at different jobs, Volunteered a lot in H.S.

I know my Application is weak... Any advice??:mad: :( :eek: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The volunteer work you did in HS won't count at all- the AMCAS application specifically asks for what you did in college.

Thus, I'd say that volunteerism is a real weak link for you. Most schools will expect it of you, and shadowing doesn't count. If I were you, I'd start volunteering somewhere now! Make sure that whatever you chose is something you can continue into the summer (or, if not, make sure you can do something very similar in the summer) and then throughout next year. You'll be expected to show commitment to whatever you choose, so just 4 months probably won't be enough.

And, for the record, I agree that volunteering for the sake of spiffing up your resume is a crappy reason for volunteerism. However, schools now expect it, so put your cynicism cap on and go for it!

How is your application weak? It could be weakened if you didn't do any volunteering during college and didn't get clinical volunteering experience either. However, if you did all of that then do reasonably well on the MCAT and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
We can say nothing about your application until we see your MCAT score, which is a major component on your application. Your GPA is fine, as long as you have a decent MCAT score (>29), I think you will be academically competitive. However, you should try to do more volunteering. Nowadays,it's no longer optional for adcoms.

Science GPA: 3.64
Cum. GPA: 3.67
Bio Major, Junior @ a Public University

Taking the MCATs in the summer
Have Research Experience, Job-Shaddow Experience, Worked at different jobs, Volunteered a lot in H.S.

I know my Application is weak... Any advice??:mad: :( :eek: :confused:

How do you know that your application is weak? People on SDN are not a good sample of the whole application pool. Just volunteer more in COLLEGE, (by more I mean start?) keep your grades up, and do well on the MCAT. Apply to a lot of schools if you're that insecure.

You're not a weak applicant, but I wouldn't go applying to a bunch of Ivies. Score 30+ on the MCAT (not MCATs BTW unless you plan on taking the damn thing twice), list 10-20 schools, and you'll probably get a half dozen interviews and 1-3 acceptances.

get as much clinical experience as possible!