Hello and a question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missschnippy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the board. I just found this place yesterday, and I was so excited to see that they are people out there who are interested in being in school forever and devoting their lives to biomedical research.
My name is Jen and I'm a junior at Florida State majoring in Biochemistry. I didn't really know about MD/PhD programs until recently, and I am really excited to find out there is training to pursue a career that allows me to help people more than I could as a regular MD.
For Medical school admissions, everyone stresses volunteer time or working in a medical setting. This isn't a problem, but I was wondering if it is as crucial to MSTP admissions. I know research is key, and I will be doing research this coming year with one of my professors.
Again it's great to find this site. You all seem like really great people, and I'm just amazed at where you all have been accepted. Congratulations! :)

Members don't see this ad.

No. I have not done a single day of "conventional" volunteering in a medical setting and I have gotten into my share of MD/PhD programs. However, you do need some sort of medically related experiences, as they often ask you to relate biomedical investigators/role models that you've encountered. I find clincial research projects to be one way of doing some exciting volunteering. Other people may have other ideas.

Meanwhile, (bench) research is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Do research, do lots of it, do it early. Do as much of it as you can handle as long as your grades don't suffer. Go to conferences, seminars, lab meetings etc. Know how to be a scientist. MSTPs are aiming to train scientists, and therefore they seek out potential scientists. Good grades/MCAT don't necessarily yield great scientists.

SL

Originally posted by missschnippy
For Medical school admissions, everyone stresses volunteer time or working in a medical setting. This isn't a problem, but I was wondering if it is as crucial to MSTP admissions. I know research is key, and I will be doing research this coming year with one of my professors.
Again it's great to find this site. You all seem like really great people, and I'm just amazed at where you all have been accepted. Congratulations! :) [/B]

Originally posted by sluox
[BMeanwhile, (bench) research is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Do research, do lots of it, do it early. [/B]

Welocome from a Gator Alumnae!

I think bench expereince is very important if you plan to pursue a bench PhD. In fields like Epidmeiology, you can do great research without ever having stepped foot in a lab.

Also you mention MD/PhD and MSTP and these terms are not the same. Some of us on this thread plan to do an MD/PdhD but are not looking for an MSTP sponsered programs. As for volunteering my impression is that since I'm interested in Clinical Epidemiology, volunteer expereince is important for my application. Again, I think this being 'required" depends on the area you plan to pursue.

Originally posted by sluox
[BMeanwhile, (bench) research is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Do research, do lots of it, do it early. [/B]

Welocome from a Gator Alumnae!

I think bench expereince is very important if you plan to pursue a bench PhD. In fields like Epidmeiology, you can do great research without ever having stepped foot in a lab.

You mention MD/PhD and MSTP and you may not be aware that these terms are not the same. Some of us on this thread plan to do an MD/PhD but are not necessarily looking for MSTP sponsered programs. As for volunteering my impression is that since I'm interested in Clinical Epidemiology, volunteer expereince is important for my application. Again, I think this being 'required" depends on the area you plan to pursue however it's hard to imagine someone wanting to be a doctor that has never been on the 'wards".