hello help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VaidyaKumari

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got rejected from two schools:( and the reason being poor GRE scores and lack of work experience.To be honest my math skills suck as i come from a non math background.Now my problem has doubled.i dont dont know what books to refer for GRE and how shd i make my scores better.please help me.i am going crazy:confused:.i am really scared to write the GRE again as i got 2sets of math question paper.

Members don't see this ad.

hey..dnt loose hope..which schools rejected you and whts your score..whts ur background..like medicine/dentistry or what???hi
i can help u with whtever i know..

i am into alternate medicine.GSU has rejected me and UGA said that they dont have enuff spaces available.oh plz,ull go crazy if u get to know my scores:oops:its just below average..what can i say.plz help me with the suitable options:confused::confused::confused:

hey..dnt loose hope..which schools rejected you and whts your score..whts ur background..like medicine/dentistry or what???hi
i can help u with whtever i know..

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, most GRE prep books are good. Can I ask what you did in terms of preparation for the test the first time? I'd suggest buying a math-only GRE book and working through that solidly for several weeks. Not sure what classes are available in your area but if there's an option cheaper than Kaplan/Princeton/other super expensive services, I'd recommend that. I boosted my score signficantly just by learning some test strategies in a prep class that cost about $200. Good luck!

Lucky for you, you don't need a math background to do well on the GRE. The quantitative portion of the GRE scared the crap out of me before I took it (my BA was in English Literature and I spent most of my undergrad years trying to avoid science/math classes). I did fine on the GRE and have already been accepted to one school. My suggestions to you are: definitely use the PowerPrep CD provided by ETS. If you buy books, don't just take the exams. Taking practice exam after practice exam will do nothing to help you if you can't identify and correct your mistakes. Make sure you know exactly why you got each question wrong and keep practicing until you master each type of question. If the reason you're struggling is because of the actual concepts and formulas, then go back to basics and learn those before taking any more practice exams. The GRE is not going to have been reinvented by the time you retake it, so you already know going into it what types of questions and concepts will appear on your retake. As long as you are thinking and preparing strategically, you will do great. :)

I did princeton review books,kaplan,barrons and CDs of Barrons.and princeton review.i studied for almost 3 mnths and still i came out with below average scores:mad:,i really dont know what to do.I cant take this everyday and the worst part was i got 2sets of quant papers..where in the first was dead easy and second was oof!.Now i am seriously looking for a minimal job just for the feel good reason.:confused:i dont know wat to do.

Honestly, most GRE prep books are good. Can I ask what you did in terms of preparation for the test the first time? I'd suggest buying a math-only GRE book and working through that solidly for several weeks. Not sure what classes are available in your area but if there's an option cheaper than Kaplan/Princeton/other super expensive services, I'd recommend that. I boosted my score signficantly just by learning some test strategies in a prep class that cost about $200. Good luck!

Thank you!The worst part is i never received any Powerprep CD from ETS and i can do the math in the lengthier way.I am thorough with the basic concepts but still i dont know wats amiss.:(.I am so much intimidated now ,that i dont think i can score anything better than previous:((

Last edited:
Thank you!The worst part is i never received any Powerprep CD from ETS and i can do the math in the lengthier way.I am thorough with the basic concepts but still i dont know wats amiss.:(.I am so much intimidated now ,that i dont think i can score anything better than previous:((

Wow, it sounds as though you really studied hard! I'm like you in that if I had unlimited time I could get most of the questions right but the time constraints are really tough. I do wonder if a prep course could help you- the one I took focused on timing yourself and finding faster ways to do the problems. The class site had powerprep-like software and they had me take 3-5 complete practice tests. I couldn't get the actual powerprep software to work on my computer- it's really crappy software. That said, I think the expensive classes aren't worth it so hopefully there is something cheaper in your area. Hang in there with it and I'm sure you'll find that your score improves!

uote=UnsunnedSnow;7413819]Wow, it sounds as though you really studied hard! I'm like you in that if I had unlimited time I could get most of the questions right but the time constraints are really tough. I do wonder if a prep course could help you- the one I took focused on timing yourself and finding faster ways to do the problems. The class site had powerprep-like software and they had me take 3-5 complete practice tests. I couldn't get the actual powerprep software to work on my computer- it's really crappy software. That said, I think the expensive classes aren't worth it so hopefully there is something cheaper in your area. Hang in there with it and I'm sure you'll find that your score improves![/quote]

Last edited:
hello unsunned snow,

Have you heard about sherwood test prep? Its in my area and they say they have comphrehensive test prep material and charge us 400 bucks,what do you think about the class?Is it a gud one??
Also,online courses are better or classroom tutorials are better??

Last edited: