Hello I am interested in ortho surgery but find the amount of books to master during residency overwhelming

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc mu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked out the operative techniques books and found out they are 5 volumes of books ONLY for the procedures

then you have apleys ortho for non-procedural orthopedics

then a book for basic science of orho

then you need a book for radiology

then a book for anatomy

How does one go about mastering all this and memorizing it for orthopedic surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

I checked out the operative techniques books and found out they are 5 volumes of books ONLY for the procedures

then you have apleys ortho for non-procedural orthopedics

then a book for basic science of orho

then you need a book for radiology

then a book for anatomy

How does one go about mastering all this and memorizing it for orthopedic surgery?

its a 5 year program. 6 for some.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even so do you think it is possible to master all that knowledge in 5 years?

I don’t really understand why you posted tbh... there is so much to know for every specialty in medicine. You just suck it up and do it.. if you like a specialty then pick it and learn the stuff. Simple as that.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t really understand why you posted tbh... there is so much to know for every specialty in medicine. You just suck it up and do it.. if you like a specialty then pick it and learn the stuff. Simple as that.
Fair enough, it is because i hear some people just learn "on the job" without reading and wanted to know if that is actually viable

my wo/man I can assure you in my 5 years I have mastered literally zero books

Reactions: 1 user
my wo/man I can assure you in my 5 years I have mastered literally zero books
What were the jokes?

How do you hide a dollar bill from an Ortho surgeon?
Put it in a book.

How do you hide a hundred dollar bill from an Ortho surgeon?
Put it in a book with no pictures!

What were the jokes?

Put it in a book.

Just to round out the jokes:
Where to hide a dollar from a medicine doc? Under a wound dressing

Where to hide a dollar from radiologist? In the patient’s chart

Where to hide a dollar from a neurosurgeon? Under his kid’s Pillow

Where to hide a dollar bill from a plastic surgeon? You can’t

Reactions: 2 users
What were the jokes?

Put it in a book.

LOL, i heard that before but never expected it to actualy be true

While we have a stereotype as a specialty that doesn't read, nothing could be further from the truth.

My first day working in ortho as a med student, the attending handed me a copy of greene's operative hand and said start reading.

I can't say that I've read any textbook straight cover to cover, but I've read most of the big ortho texts.

A few edits below😀
Where to hide a dollar from radiologist? On the patient

Where to hide a dollar from a neurosurgeon? On his kid

While we have a stereotype as a specialty that doesn't read, nothing could be further from the truth.

My first day working in ortho as a med student, the attending handed me a copy of greene's operative hand and said start reading.

I can't say that I've read any textbook straight cover to cover, but I've read most of the big ortho texts.

A few edits below😀

There are too many conflicting opinions on this topic it seems but i cannot see myself learning everything "on the job" myself tbh

There are too many conflicting opinions on this topic it seems but i cannot see myself learning everything "on the job" myself tbh
I still read textbooks and review books and watch videos alot (vumedi, youtube, ssftv, NASS, SMISS, etc). resources are everywhere. do what you can to learn the stuff you need to know.