Hello, I am new here and need some help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stallion55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum, Heard a lot about how helpful you guys were from my friends and I am in need of some serious advice. I graduated last May with a bachelors in Economics from Stony Brook University with Pre-med background. My gpa is not that great, around a 2.7, so I gave up hope on American Medical Schools. Taking my mcats soon in march and trying to get into Ross or AUC. However recently, I was informed that Medical schools from England, Scotland and Ireland have a pretty good reputation in comparision to Caribbean Schools. Students from there are actually better trained. Do you guys know anyone that has completed their studies there? Or name a few schools that have a good reputation? I would really appreciate your feedback guys, Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure someone here will tell you to "follow your dreams" but a hard reality is that if you go abroad, whether to Europe or the Carribbean, you will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (not sure in Europe w/ socialized medicine) with a very slim chance of getting a residency spot in the US. Also, the path to physician in Great Britain is not at all like it is in the US. A MD without a residency is pretty close to useless, and that is a very real prospect for a great many Caribbean students. You may want to seriously reexamine your prospects before you walk down that road.

Oh, and It is MCAT, not mcats.

Fix your grades.

No restart buttons, and USMD schools will never accept you. However, DO schools use the latest grades obtained in a class, and SMP grades coupled with a 3.0+ GPA might get you into USMD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might be better off doing a post bac or SMP and raising the GPA.

I'm not sure how Carib vs European schools compare, but from what I've heard, it makes it a whole lot harder to get a residency spot

1) Raise GPA with postbac to include repeating classes with Ds and Fs and prerequisites below C+.

2a) Get AMCAS GPA over 3.0, get high MCAT score >30, take SMP with GPA>3.5 and get into MD school, or

2b) Get ACCOMAS GPA over 3.0, get MCAT of >30, get into DO med school.

3) Distant last choice due to much lower chance of practicing medicine in US eventually: get into one of the Big Four in the Caribbean. Read SDN's International Medicine Forums for more detailed information about going to International med schools.