1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

hello nerds...question about baccalureate

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by danman, Jul 17, 2006.

1. danman

danman Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello all,
    What major do you guys reccomend that I take for my baccalureates??? I'm thinking of taking Biochem...Is that different from everything else??? Competitive enough??

ALSO, does it matter if you started in a Community college??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. R.P. McMurphy

Pre-Medical
    hey who you callin a nerd? :)

honestly, you should take something that interests YOU, no matter what it is.

4. danman

danman Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Are you sure??? cuz I heard they prefer something related to bio..
    there's only like 200 seats open and I don't want to take any chances

5. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They don't "prefer" any major over any other, although Biochem might be more impressive than others. It's more important that you do well in what you choose, whatever it is. This means you should pick something you enjoy.

6. R.P. McMurphy

Pre-Medical
    It has very little to do with what you do and Everything to do with HOW you do it. Just because you major in Biochem, it won't make you special because there are thousands and thousands of biochem majors like you. But if you are very interested in Biochem it will show in your classes....you will ask interesting questions, profs will like you, write you glowing letters, and you will get good grades......it's very important to actually like what you are doing in undergrad. More than that, you need to make yourself unique by getting involved in different things.....make yourself a dynamic person.

7. p9142

p9142 UR out of your element!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am pretty sure that engineering students have the highest acceptance rates.

8. R.P. McMurphy

Pre-Medical
    Probably because engineering students are pretty ambitious to begin with (engineering has a stigma of being rigorous and typically attracts harder working students) I don't think they necessarily think people who can solve circuits and build bridges will make the best doctors....if you know what I mean :laugh:

9. jocg27

jocg27 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have actually heard philosophy majors have, if not highest, very high acceptance rates, somewhere around 50%

Seriously, bio and biochem majors are a dime a dozen. No matter what your major, to get into med school you have to take some minimum amount of science courses, which is actually quite a few science courses. So, if you study hard in the classes you do take, you will learn the science you need to do well on the mcat.

There's something impressive about someone with a solid science background, but who also knows a great deal about some other topic. Conversely, there's something annoying about a someone double-majoring in biology and biochemistry with a minor in chemistry.

10. kyidmnmaiv

kyidmnmaiv Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    what?

11. Slide

Slide Finally, no more "training"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you're not that interested in biology or in a bio-related major, major in something else. When you get to med school, you'll learn that medicine is not the same thing as biology. If anything, majoring in anything other than bio and biochem can be a plus, because as said before, bio major premeds are as plentiful as obese people in the US.

12. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Attending Anesthesiologist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I really ejoyed this statement. I just wanted you to know.

p.s. It's true about bio majors. Granted I was a bio major but only because I really liked it. For the love of God pick a major that interests you and not what an advisor says.

p.s. Unless your advisor has an M.D. I'd take what they say with a grain of salt. Pre-med advisors are notorious for being full of ****.

13. ESzczesniak

ESzczesniak Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's the reality. Most med schools have 20-30% of their class come from majors outside of the sciences. Now go to your history department and see how many pre-meds there are. On the other hand, many state school biology departments end up with 700+ pre-meds coming in as freshmen and send only a few dozen to med school at the most.

What am I saying? I'm not saying that bio is not the way to go. Neither major is going to be unquestionably better. Do what you like. Those few history majors that do so well getting in to med school do so becase that is what they really want to do. Likewise, the average bio freshmen does so poor making it to med school because in all reality, it wasn't what they really wanted. Pick what you like and it'll all work out.

14. Sondra

Sondra UMC 2010
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I'll echo that you should major in something that really interests you. You should work towards a degree that you can use and be happy with in case you don't get accepted to medical school. I don't believe that any particular major looks better to med school. I think they are looking for character and how you do in the field you have chosen. You are more likely to make better grades and have a better relationship with your profs is a major you love. Someone once told me that they majored in something other than the sciences, i.e. history. Why? Because they new it would be last time they would get to study history seriously before having to buckle down with all the science classes in med school.

So to answer your question, is biochem competitive enough? Sure, but so is any other major you choose. Is it different from everything else. Sure, but you will be one of many biochem majors applying to medical school.

Does it matter if you start a community college? There are some drawbacks from attending a cc because of the stigma associated with cc's having easier classes. I have heard many people give the advice to take your med school pre-reqs at a four year university in order to avoid the stigma. That being said, nearly every medical school accepts cc credits. I didn't have a problem getting in with most of my pre-reqs coming from a cc. If you have the money/schedule allowances to do your pre reqs at a university, go for it. If it is necessary for you to do them at a cc that should be fine too.

15. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Listen to the people who have posted before.

Pick a major that makes you happy when you go to class. It doesn't matter if it is art, philosophy, chemistry, or history.

If you want to know the degrees with the highest admissions stats, check out the AAMC website for their stats/tables and break out your excel spreadsheet or your SPSS software. The ranks vary somewhat from year to year, but you'll see that math, engineering, philosophy, and certain independently designed multidisciplary science degrees have the best acceptances. Biology has one of the very worst acceptance rates. Biochem is better than bio, but not as good as math or philosophy.

Still, it's a bad idea to pick math as a major unless math makes you happy. (And if cal makes you hard, but you hate proofs, don't do math; cal isn't *real* math anyway, and you won't be calculating much of anything after your first couple of upper math classes). So once again we see that your best bet is to be in a major that you well and truly enjoy.

This maxim applies to everything else you do when preparing for med school. Pick a volunteer activity that you actually enjoy, not just one that you think will look good. Get involved with clubs/organizations and research projects that you actually find interesting. If you aren't enthusiastic about what you are doing, you won't sound good in your interviews.

Good luck. Do biochem if biochem was your favorite class in college. Otherwise, do something that you enjoy. If you don't like school at all, then be prepared for many years of profoundly deep misery.

Good luck!