Hello question about the medical convention!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_GirL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:( there is someone that I spoke with who is in the 10th grade in highschool, and recieved the invitation to go to a medical conference at Berkley. It costed about 2 thousand dollars to attend. I was wondering how they got that invitation because that person doesn't know how they recieved it. She will be flying there in 2 weeks. I want to really go. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Doctor_GirL said:
:( there is someone that I spoke with who is in the 10th grade in highschool, and recieved the invitation to go to a medical conference at Berkley. It costed about 2 thousand dollars to attend. I was wondering how they got that invitation because that person doesn't know how they recieved it. She will be flying there in 2 weeks. I want to really go. :(

I did something that like that when I was a Junior is HS but it was in San Francisco. I think it was called something like National Youth Forum on Medicine, but I can't remember. I received an invite but I'm not sure why! Do an internet search and see if you can find contact information for it. Good luck!

Doctor_GirL said:

Is she going to the National Youth Leadership Conference on Medicine? That is a program for high school students who are interested in careers in medicine. High school teachers are invited to recommend their top students (basically provide students names & home addresses) and the student gets a fancy mailing telling them what an honor it is to attend. There are a few "scholarships" provided to the medical schools that host the attendees but most of the kids pay $$$$.

I see some students list this among their ECs but it isn't very impressive to an adcom.

Yeah I remember in high school, my best friend and I were asked by our physiology teacher if we wanted to learn about this sort of conference (which was at Stanford that year). I guess he turned our names in because we got our invites soon therafter. While her dad wrote our a big fat check (almost $3000) so she could go, my dad laughed and called the whole thing a money-making scam. Anyway, she had a great time at the conference because she got to shadow physicians, etc. But from her experieince, she realized she didn't want to be a doctor and is now a real estate agent!