Dec 22, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Status
Pre-Medical
hey everyone!!
my name is Jai and i am going to be an OB/GYN (at a hospital...maybe down the line i'll open a practice :) )
i just went back to college after i took a year off after high school (class of '09) to deal with life and then that year has turned into five. *facepalm*
the 4 years weren't a TOTAL waste though...i'm a licensed cosmetologist lol
hair and makeup were a hobby of mine and once a upon a time I wanted to own my own salon.

medicine has always been my heart, life just seemed to get in the way of my dreams.
i've reclaimed my life and i just completed my first semester (finished with a 3.75 woot!)
as a little girl, i used to watch ER with my mother and i wanted that to be me LOL

aside from medicine...im into kpop/hallyu (which is more than gangnam style by the way lol) and i've been into kpop for almost 10 years lol. i'm also learning Korean (which is HARD btw lol) and then theres the cosmetology thing lol.

im here looking to make some friendships with like-minded individuals. my immediate circle doesn't understand. all they see are the yeeeeaarrrrsss of school and the HUMUNGO salary (their words not mine lol)...also some friends that are good with the whole psychics thing :)

Fun Facts:
> im originally from Baltimore but I moved to Phoenix almost two years ago
> i love Batman & Hello Kitty
> i work in the travel/leisure industry
> dream school is Johns Hopkins (its the Baltimore in me lol)
> dream vacation is Seoul, South Korea
> originally wanted to be a dentist but a once in a lifetime meeting with someone in the pharmacology industry convinced me otherwise lol.

sorry about the long intro.
how about you guys?!! :) interests besides medicine? specialty?

OP
xoSARANGHAE
Dec 22, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Status
Pre-Medical
wow.
it did not. i was just being friendly. sorry if it came of kinda 'profile-y'
yes, we are in medicine but were still people with personalities.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueLabel
Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
welcome. :) There is a lot of useful information here, but it isn't the most overtly friendly place on the interwebz. Try not to take it personally. Hmmm.......interests besides medicine? Ice skating (I don't know how something I suck so bad at could be so much fun), volunteering at the humane society (I love me some puppies) and the Oblongs (because it's amazing).

Funke

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Waterfront
Status
Welcome! Congrats for going back to school. Its a big step toward your dream.
Outside of medical work, I love to cook and play various instruments. I'm a kitchen manager, an EMT, and a musician, so I've been lucky to be able to use my interests to make a living while I work towards med school.
As for specialty, I love pediatrics and genetics.

Reactions: xoSARANGHAE

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Ill give you the benefit of the doubt: Congratulations on going back to school. Your prior experience working as a cosmetologist is definitely a good thing. Keep your grades up, get as much clinical exposure as you can , join some clubs and (eventually) rock the MCAT. You will be taking the new one, so heads up. This forum is the only reason I, and many, many others are as prepared and informed as we are about our desired careers. Stick around, learn, contribute and have fun. Merry Christmas and Godspeed.

P.S.: if that is you in your avatar, you need to consider changing it to protect your privacy. Also, don't use your real name.

Last edited:

Omppu27

El Tiburon
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2011
Pawnee, Indiana
Status
Medical Student
Troll who is bored over winter break because they don't have a life??? Hmm I honestly don't know about this one.

IncognitoGuy

life of leisure
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What the..

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
hey everyone!!
my name is Jai and i am going to be an OB/GYN (at a hospital...maybe down the line i'll open a practice :) )
i just went back to college after i took a year off after high school (class of '09) to deal with life and then that year has turned into five. *facepalm*
hair and makeup were a hobby of mine and once a upon a time I wanted to own my own salon.

medicine has always been my heart, life just seemed to get in the way of my dreams.
i've reclaimed my life and i just completed my first semester (finished with a 3.75 woot!)
as a little girl, i used to watch ER with my mother and i wanted that to be me LOL

aside from medicine...im into kpop/hallyu (which is more than gangnam style by the way lol) and i've been into kpop for almost 10 years lol. i'm also learning Korean (which is HARD btw lol) and then theres the cosmetology thing lol.

im here looking to make some friendships with like-minded individuals. my immediate circle doesn't understand. all they see are the yeeeeaarrrrsss of school and the HUMUNGO salary (their words not mine lol)...also some friends that are good with the whole psychics thing :)

Fun Facts:
> originally wanted to be a dentist but a once in a lifetime meeting with someone in the pharmacology industry convinced me otherwise lol.

Hey Jai! Glad to meet you!! Few tips about the forum from a big lurker (I almost never post)

- We love discussing MD vs DO. Feel free to post a new thread or two to feel out everyone's opinion on this matter, it doesn't come up enough around here
- It's much easier to just post a new thread than to scroll through or search to see if your question has been answered before. Save yourself some time :thumbup:
- Whatever you do, DO NOT listen to anything posted by Goro or LizzyM, they are both notorious trolls. You want to try to get info from one of our more distinguished posters like Streampaw or RuralSurg4now
- Have fun & good luck in med school!! :cat:

Your friend,

:pompous: BlueLabel :pompous:

PS: edited to add, my last tip is make sure you wear a black suit to your interviews and don't let anyone around here tell you different. Good luck!

HelpPleaseMD

7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey Jai! Glad to meet you!! Few tips about the forum from a big lurker (I almost never post)

- We love discussing MD vs DO. Feel free to post a new thread or two to feel out everyone's opinion on this matter, it doesn't come up enough around here
- It's much easier to just post a new thread than to scroll through or search to see if your question has been answered before. Save yourself some time :thumbup:
- Whatever you do, DO NOT listen to anything posted by Goro or LizzyM, they are both notorious trolls. You want to try to get info from one of our more distinguished posters like Streampaw or RuralSurg4now

Your friend,

PS: edited to add, my last tip is make sure you wear a black suit to your interviews and don't let anyone around here tell you different. Good luck!

o_O.
Hi and welcome. Hope your decision to apply to medicine is not solely based on the tv show ER.

Last edited:

Sassafrass23

The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2012
Tejas
Status
Medical Student
(Assuming not a troll) I hope you continue to look at SDN through rose colored glasses but more likely it will just help you develop some thicker skin.

Welcome and good luck! Take everything you hear with a grain of salt

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
My only comment is that's better to get into medical school first, before thinking about specialty.

Nov 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
hey everyone!!

Fun Facts:

Welcome to your new journey. The road is long but I would not give up all of those nights studying or anything else to be where I am now. Hope you stick with your passion to go into medicine. Keep up with your perkiness, too... I find that although I am very happy with medicine I have lost some of my youthful perk and adapted more jaded sarcasm ;)

I used to want psychiatry or pediatric neurology originally but then once I found out I loved everything in medicine so family medicine was for me :) if you ever need advice feel free to ask me anything.

Nov 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
My only comment is that's better to get into medical school first, before thinking about specialty.
True, but it helps reaffirm your goal/passion if you have a general idea of where you want to see yourself. I recycled through about every known specialty before I finally chose but in the beginning having one specialty in mind helped me focus on why I was sacrificing my weekends to study.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
By the end of year 3, most of my students simply know what they DON'T want to specialize in!

True, but it helps reaffirm your goal/passion if you have a general idea of where you want to see yourself. I recycled through about every known specialty before I finally chose but in the beginning having one specialty in mind helped me focus on why I was sacrificing my weekends to study.

Reactions: Anastomoses

Docbrody

when life gives you a lemon, make a lemon cake
Mar 29, 2013
Oswego
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Enjoy your passion for now and worry later. I like your positivity and keep it up. You will use that mentality down the road to become a physician one day. You're still young and enjoy learning. Keep your interest in medicine to become an OB/GYNist. You have a potential to be just like being a cosmetologist, they both serving the community and fulfilling their needs. You Suggest the type of hairstyle that you think would look best for them, thus as a doctor, you suggest the level/types of care that you would think will work best for their health. Same thing! :) just keep up all the good grades and keep in touch here at SDN to guide you through the uphill rocky path to medicine. Best of luck. Merry xmas

OP
xoSARANGHAE
Dec 22, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Status
Pre-Medical
hello again!!!

thanks for all the helpful information. i will def keep it in mine.
no, the avatar is not me LOLOLOL and Jai is more of a nickname.
tv shows weren't the only reason, but it definitely reaffirmed my passion for medicine. s/n the mindy project is hilarious!!!
i realized some people here weren't here for friendliness based on some of the responses, they remind me of the people I deal with at work. LOL the angry traveler.
one of the elder pre-med students at my school, directed me to this site

Enjoy your passion for now and worry later. I like your positivity and keep it up. You will use that mentality down the road to become a physician one day. You're still young and enjoy learning. Keep your interest in medicine to become an OB/GYNist. You have a potential to be just like being a cosmetologist, they both serving the community and fulfilling their needs. You Suggest the type of hairstyle that you think would look best for them, thus as a doctor, you suggest the level/types of care that you would think will work best for their health. Same thing! :) just keep up all the good grades and keep in touch here at SDN to guide you through the uphill rocky path to medicine. Best of luck. Merry xmas
i never thought of it like that but yeah!!!

Your friend,

^^^^ thank you so much for this!

Merry Christmas to all that are celebrating today!!

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
hello again!!!

thanks for all the helpful information. i will def keep it in mine.
no, the avatar is not me LOLOLOL and Jai is more of a nickname.
tv shows weren't the only reason, but it definitely reaffirmed my passion for medicine. s/n the mindy project is hilarious!!!
i realized some people here weren't here for friendliness based on some of the responses, they remind me of the people I deal with at work. LOL the angry traveler.
one of the elder pre-med students at my school, directed me to this site

i never thought of it like that but yeah!!!

Riveting tale chap. :pompous::cigar:

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Just so you know, everything BlueLabel said in his post is completely false. You'll find that some people will take advantage of new users in an attempt to be funny. :rolleyes:

To clear up any confusion, it's good practice to do a search before creating a new thread, just to see if someone has asked the same question before. Goro and LizzyM are on medical school admissions committees and they give some of the best advice on SDN.

And always remember to be courteous and contribute positively! ;)

:welcome:

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Just so you know, everything BlueLabel said in his post is completely false. You'll find that some people will take advantage of new users in an attempt to be funny. :rolleyes:

To clear up any confusion, it's good practice to do a search before creating a new thread, just to see if someone has asked the same question before. Goro and LizzyM are on medical school admissions committees and they give some of the best advice on SDN.

And always remember to be courteous and contribute positively! ;)

:welcome:
Yes... I was just having a little holiday fun. Do the opposite of everything I said and you'll be set, Jai.

Merry Christmas, y'all