HELP: 35S MCAT, 3.8GPA, CA resident; what are some good OOS/backup to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imonaroil

imonaroil
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a UCBerkeley student with 12P, 14B, 9V MCAT, 3.8 cGPA.
I plan to apply to all the UCs but I'm having trouble deciding which OOS to apply to. After hearing horror stories of not getting in, I'm really paranoid so I want to pick a good amount of OOS schools that are my level and backup schools too so it doesnt happen to me! Any suggestions???

Members don't see this ad.

go buy an MSAR book. It will list all the medical schools and compare your stats to their averages of their matriculants to get a good idea of your competitiveness. after you've compiled a new list of schools, we'll be happy to give you some help. there are a lot of good schools out there that you haven't listed and would definitely be in line with your stats.

Yeah, there's no point to us making suggestions when you would never want to move to the cold snowy north. You'd pretty much have a chance at most places if your activities reflect leadership potential.

Your pre-health advising office has a copy of the MSAR too, but it's ever so useful to have your own copy since you can't sign it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my list so far..

All UCs, USC, Mt Sinai, Cornell, UofM, UofWisconsin-Mad, Tufts, Ohio State, Jefferson, Dartmouth?, Michigan State, NYU, Northwestern, Yale, UPenn, Stony Brook, Columbia, UofPittsburgh, Case Western, Johns Hopkins?

I tried to go for all the categories: reach, my level, and backup..any other suggestions for OOS? Does this list look reasonable with my stats? Thanks:)

Here's my list so far..

All UCs, USC, Mt Sinai, Cornell, UofM, UofWisconsin-Mad, Tufts, Ohio State, Jefferson, Dartmouth?, Michigan State, NYU, Northwestern, Yale, UPenn, Stony Brook, Columbia, UofPittsburgh, Case Western, Johns Hopkins?

I tried to go for all the categories: reach, my level, and backup..any other suggestions for OOS? Does this list look reasonable with my stats? Thanks:)

That list is really top heavy - there aren't many/any backups on it if UCs don't come through. You might want to take off Mich St (really really expensive OOS tuition) and Stony Brook (not many OOS, I think).

Some other OOS friendly schools or schools you might want to consider (I mixed in some prestige and good chances for you) - St Louis, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Miami, Emory, Wake Forest, UVA, VCU, Boston U, Georgetown, Penn St, Vermont, OHSU, WashU, Loyola, UChicago