Help a blind man

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blind

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster.

Here's my story -

I've worked very hard at my institution and my goal has always been to be a doctor. My cGPA/sGPA are 3.8/3.7 and my MCAT was a 32R. I've had to overcome a big struggle in my life and I'm afraid it may limit my options or even limit me from medical practice... I'm blind in my left eye (glass eye) and have straight up murkvision in my right. Also I'm a URM. My pal Sebastian (definitely of Jeffersonian lineage) and I were talking about my situation the other day and he was all, "Man, I can't think of any blind doctors I've ever seen AND you're a URM... you're waaaaaaaay under-represented; I'm thinking you're golden for top-tier with those numbers and your situation. I'm thinking Ivy-League Plastics may be in your future."

Then this hater, Bhavdeep, comes up as we're getting stoked on this and is all, "You're never getting into med school, much less Plastics, with your poor vision." So, as I tugged at the shoulders of my Shaq jersey, I was straight up like, "Bhavdeep, you're trifling. You must have added some of that pretense to your coffee this morning. This is me baby, this is Demetrius - I'm legit." As the tension dissolved, we hugged and then went to play some badminton before the sun set.

Ok, so what I'm really wondering here is... was Bhavdeep right originally? I'm worried that my poor vision/blindness might prohibit me from surgery. I've got the work ethic and I can read braille hella fast... I mean, if my braille reading was clocked for MPH (by lines), I'm pretty sure I'd read faster than a cheetah runs. Also, I'm a local Marco-Polo LEGEND.

Give me some good news,
Demetrius

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what a lot of that post said haha
but
there was an article a while back on a blind med student so getting into med school is possible

being a surgeon? especially a plastic surgeon? most likely not. there is just NO way you could operate on such a small scale with hardly any to no vision. Internal medicine fields are all probably completely open to you though.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize