This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbrothersc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Like many of you, I've received some acceptance letters to post-bacc programs for fall '16.
Unlike many of you, I am currently living in Mongolia.
I can't visit cities or campuses. Scheduling a phone call is difficult enough as it is.

i.e. I'm asking for any and all help / info you're willing to offer...

Help a brother make the right decision.

Any and all advice/help in making my decision is appreciated, particularly anything regarding the following programs:

University of Vermont
Mount Holyoke College
Tufts
Guilford College
American University

Thank you all in advance,
jbrothersc

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would skip Tufts because their program is 1. very expensive and 2. provides little support that would begin to justify the cost. Also, unless you are currently an MA resident, you will not be able to establish residency until you have lived in MA for 7 years. I've heard good things about Vermont's program in the way of advising. Also, Vermont has low competition for in state spots at its medical school.

It seems that a lot of your interest is in New England. The most popular option in the Boston area is Harvard Extension School's post bac pre med program. The tuition is affordable and the classes are rigorous.

Hey all,

Like many of you, I've received some acceptance letters to post-bacc programs for fall '16.
I can't visit cities or campuses. Scheduling a phone call is difficult enough as it is.

Any and all advice/help in making my decision is appreciated, particularly anything regarding the following programs:

University of Vermont
Mount Holyoke College
Tufts
Guilford College
American University

jbrothersc

I would skip Tufts because their program is 1. very expensive and 2. provides little support that would begin to justify the cost. Also, unless you are currently an MA resident, you will not be able to establish residency until you have lived in MA for 7 years. I've heard good things about Vermont's program in the way of advising. Also, Vermont has low competition for in state spots at its medical school.

It seems that a lot of your interest is in New England. The most popular option in the Boston area is Harvard Extension School's post bac pre med program. The tuition is affordable and the classes are rigorous.

I'd second everything GreenDuck said above. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

University of Vermont
Mount Holyoke College
Tufts
Guilford College
American University

jbrothersc

Hmm wouldn't agree with the other responses. I just completed the Tufts MBS program and loved it. Yes, it was expensive but I don't know what you're willing to invest. Obviously, you applied so... But basically, I think Tufts is highly selective of their admitted students and you'll find the program to be very structured and intensive. Plus, Boston is a sick city so you know that when you're not studying, there will be plenty of fun stuff to do. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck.

Hey, so i'm not sure if i'm looking at the wrong information or not, but Tufts website lists the post-bacc at $30,000 - program fee (includes 10 courses along with some extras)

As I'll be an out-of-state, UVM is pushing around $36/38,000... am i missing something important in regards to the cost of Tufts program?
American is similar and Mount Holyoke has a program fee of $39,000.

again, am i just missing something when it comes to the price of Tufts?

Hey, so i'm not sure if i'm looking at the wrong information or not, but Tufts website lists the post-bacc at $30,000 - program fee (includes 10 courses along with some extras)

As I'll be an out-of-state, UVM is pushing around $36/38,000... am i missing something important in regards to the cost of Tufts program?
American is similar and Mount Holyoke has a program fee of $39,000.

again, am i just missing something when it comes to the price of Tufts?
The Tufts program is $21,557/semester for two semesters + ~$1300 for continuation fees if you need extra time to complete the required thesis. Not sure if you're factoring in cost of living as well, but Boston is $$$$. http://publichealth.tufts.edu/Admissions/Tuition-and-Fees

For the most part you're generally better off going to programs with an associated med school.

Would you rather live in Burlington or Boston?

The other thing you could look at is doing an informal or DIY post-bac program as opposed to a formal program. It depends really on what you are looking for in terms of location, cost, support, etc.