Help a Fl boi with his School list please! (Just got MCAT score back)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Scribe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Here are some stats for you to consider:
UGPA: 3.69cum 3.6 science
USF SMP (aka Medical Master's) GPA: 3.81
MCAT: 33 (July 2014) 518 (June 2017, lowest section was 128 CARS)
Research: ~200 hrs...1 pub (3rd author) is submitted for review
Volunteering: ~200 hrs non-medical and ~150 hrs medical (hospice, free clinic)
Teaching Experience: TA for Gen chem (3 semesters...~150 hours)
Shadowing: ~100 hours

I have applied to:

All Fl Schools
Quinnipiac
NYMC
EVMS
VCU

During my gap year, I will be looking for a Scribe position and will be continuing to work in my research lab. Although, I'd like to avoid having another gap year so please help me add schools to my list!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you do an SMP with a 3.7/33? And why take the MCAT back in 2014? Did you have a previous unsuccessful cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing apparent in what you posted that would explain why...

Where did you apply? Were you on time/early? Who gave you interviews? Did you get feedback from any places about what to improve? And again, why did you do an SMP when you already had a 3.7 GPA and strong MCAT?

Reactions: 1 users
There is nothing apparent in what you posted that would explain why...

Where did you apply? Were you on time/early? Who gave you interviews? Did you get feedback from any places about what to improve? And again, why did you do an SMP when you already had a 3.7 GPA and strong MCAT?

Last time I applied I was extremely early (secondaries submitted in early July) and I received 2 IIs (UCF and USF....waitlisted at both).

I think interviews went poorly and the courseload I took in UG was on the lighter side from what I understand (a few B's and 2 B- in pre-reqs and A's in nutrition courses, but i was really interested in nutrition so w/e)...basically adcoms mightve thought my sGPA was inflated
Thats why I did SMP

MCAT expired --> Took new MCAT

Last edited:
For the sake of current/future readers - having a top 10% MCAT and a 3.7 GPA is plenty to show you can handle med school. You do not need to go pay for an SMP to prove your academic chops.

Anyways, how many schools did you apply to in order to get those two interviews?

Reactions: 1 users
For the sake of current/future readers - having a top 10% MCAT and a 3.7 GPA is plenty to show you can handle med school. You do not need to go pay for an SMP to prove your academic chops.

Anyways, how many schools did you apply to in order to get those two interviews?

I think you replied before I was able to edit my last post, please let me know if you think I am wrong about the sGPA inflation.

I applied to all the Fl schools for primaries but lost hope and only submitted secondaries to USF, UCF, FIU, and FSU because of my GPA.
I submitted secondaries to OOS schools like Drexel, Georgetown, and Wake Forest as well. If I had to guess, I probably completed about 8 secondaries, which I now realize is very, very bad. Please don't yell at me, I was/am a very dumb premed lol

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Here are some stats for you to consider:
UGPA: 3.69cum 3.6 science
USF SMP (aka Medical Master's) GPA: 3.81
MCAT: 33 (July 2014) 518 (June 2017, lowest section was 128 CARS)
Research: ~200 hrs...1 pub (3rd author) is submitted for review
Volunteering: ~200 hrs non-medical and ~150 hrs medical (hospice, free clinic)
Teaching Experience: TA for Gen chem (3 semesters...~150 hours)
Shadowing: ~100 hours

I have applied to:

All Fl Schools
Quinnipiac
NYMC
EVMS
VCU

During my gap year, I will be looking for a Scribe position and will be continuing to work in my research lab. Although, I'd like to avoid having another gap year so please help me add schools to my list!!!
To your list, add:

Mayo
Case
Columbia
Duke
UCSF
Pitt
Einstein
Hofstra
Dartmouth
BU
Tulane
Keck
Emory
Loyola
Rosy F
SLU
MCW
Albany
The Philly Triplets
Wake
Tufts

I think you replied before I was able to edit my last post, please let me know if you think I am wrong about the sGPA inflation.

I applied to all the Fl schools for primaries but lost hope and only submitted secondaries to USF, UCF, FIU, and FSU because of my GPA.
I submitted secondaries to OOS schools like Drexel, Georgetown, and Wake Forest as well. If I had to guess, I probably completed about 8 secondaries, which I now realize is very, very bad. Please don't yell at me, I was/am a very dumb premed lol

Getting 2 interviews from 8 secondaries is pretty good (I think the median is 3 interviews from 13 secondaries). Doing an SMP wasn't the best use of the time and money though. I'd apply to 20+ schools this time around and add more mid tiers and few reaches.

This is actually great news! I was afraid you'd say you had applied to a good list of 20+ places or something. That would have implied that something was seriously wrong in your essays or LoRs - instead it looks like you had a solid app and just hamstrung yourself with a bad/short list. Easy fix - apply to more places.

In addition to the ones you already listed, I'd maybe consider adding:

Case Western
Einstein
Hofstra
Cincinnati
OSU
USC
Rochester
Emory
Baylor
Albany
Temple
SLU
Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for all your advice everyone!

Since I already submitted my primary (although it has yet to be verified) will medical schools automatically receive my new MCAT? I did check the box which asks whether I have a future MCAT test date. Just want to be sure they receive the current score.

Appreciate the help everyone!

Last edited:
@gyngyn I would really appreciate your advice on this matter

"Since I already submitted my primary (although it has yet to be verified) will medical schools automatically receive my new MCAT? I did check the box which asks whether I have a future MCAT test date. Just want to be sure they receive the current score."

Thank you!

@gyngyn I would really appreciate your advice on this matter

"Since I already submitted my primary (although it has yet to be verified) will medical schools automatically receive my new MCAT? I did check the box which asks whether I have a future MCAT test date. Just want to be sure they receive the current score."

Thank you!
All MCAT scores are automatically populated into the AMCAS application as soon as they become available.