Help a highschooler out with some pharmacy questions? (sorry it's so long) (That's what she said)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimumstuffs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently going to be a senior this coming fall and I am interested in a career in pharmacy, but I have some questions. Firstly, is it better to go to an undergrad that has a pharmacy school? I was thinking on going to Hampton University for pre-pharmacy because I can get in with scholarship money and they have a pharmacy program with lenient pre reqs and a relatively low average gpa (and it is relatively easier than other schools, so my gpa will be higher). Also, how hard is the PCAT? The pre-pharmacy program at Hampton says that I could apply during my second year of undergrad, but taking the PCAT then seems a little soon. How much outside work do you need to apply to pharmacy school? I know that extracurricular activity in pharmacy is pretty much a requirement for pharmacy school applicants because it shows dedication and knowledge to the field, however, I am not sure what or how to do this. Is shadowing good enough or do I need to do something else? Finally, what's a good gpa for pharmacy admissions? I know it's different for every pharmacy school, but what's a solid gpa? Also, if anyone has info about Hampton pharmacy or their own pharmacy school, please do respond. Some details about me: I am from Virginia and I am Black. Other details, I am from Virginia. I would like to stay close to home, but I am willing to branch out. There are two other pharmacy schools in Virginia: Shenandoah School of Pharmacy (really expensive and relatively new, but it isn't extremely competitive and it is accelerated for 3 years) and Virginia Commonwealth University ( I can get in there for undergrad, but I have no chance for the SOP. It is very competitive) THANK YOU IF YOU READ ALL OF THIS!!!! YOU ARE A TRUE HOMIE IF YOU DID!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it really matters much where you do undergrad.

The PCAT isn't too bad imo. Second year of undergrad is the traditional time to take it and I would recommend not wasting time or money on any prep materials, your undergrad education will prep you fine. If you tank it you can take it again.

And why would she say "sorry it's so long"? Doesn't really work, does it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn't matter if your university has a pharm school or not when you're doing undergrad. You want to see if the pharm school itself is reputable and not total garbage. I went to a top university that has a pharm school, but I applied late and didn't have a hot GPA so I'm going to go somewhere completely different.

You don't want to get into that mentality of getting into a pharm school that isn't really competitive either... That's just not really a good mindset to have in general.

PCAT isn't bad. I kinda studied in the summer, but really studied the week before I took it and got a 72, which isn't too awful. Took it again and got an 89 easily. I just zoned out during the RC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a 3.25 and 70 PCAT and you'll get into about any school in the country at this point

Get a job in a pharmacy before you commit to a program, so you will know if this really is what you want to do.

you must be out of your mind if yu want to get into this garbage

Reactions: 2 users
The undergrad only matters IF (and a big if) you absolutely know and are going to the straight through direct admission/entry programs like St. Louis College of Pharmacy (https://www.stlcop.edu/admissions/applying/). It trades a higher difficulty of admission and a earlier commitment to the profession for not having to worry about individual details (like getting a C in OChem or AChem).

Otherwise, it's my general experience on the Ad Com that no one cares for any majors in particular. There's questions and tradeoffs that get added if the undergraduate happened to have another health care license (EMT, ADN RN, RD are common ones that we see). Certain schools imply that you more or less have to complete your degree, the Big 10, my school within it, and my alma mater are that way now, while other schools are more lenient about just having two years.

Can't comment on the PCAT. The era that I took it in is before PCAS, and the scale scores were outrageous (see the posts from 2002). It's not really looked at during Ad Com in my school unless we're trying to resolve discrepancies or gaps or that the PCAS score itself causes a discrepancy (low PCAS scores against high grades open questions, same with vice-versa).

Extracurricular is a loaded term. It's more experience although each school has its own policy on how those values are considered. So, we don't expect volunteer work for those who are working in other health professions (EMT and RN especially) and are currently engaged in practice with an unrestricted license. Those who have a military background and apply with veterans preference are not asked at all about extracurricular (the uniformed services own the time that they are in it and we understand) though we expect separation under honorable, medical, or general under honorable conditions on application. Everyone else, there is a strong expectation that there is either some background in a pharmacy or volunteer work that is preferably in pharmacy or in a health-care related field. I know when it comes down to marginal cases, being a CPhT or a health professional helps as we know that they have experience at the work.

This changes over time, but I consider a "competitive" GPA/ numbers profile to be:
3.75 General, 3.5 SGPA, more than 50% of grades at the A- or higher level for GChem, OChem, AChem (if required) and no grades in those subjects below the B- level without retakes. Schedule rigor is considered (meaning that an applicant would need to explain to the committee if there's gaps in the education record or streaks of part time schooling as that's a risk factor for failing out during the professional years). I have a personal consideration that their English and Comm/Public Speaking grades reflect their interviewing performance (a pattern of broken/unprofessional grammar and usage in the essay or during the interview hurt applications). No outstanding profile besides. If young (<19 years old), prior experience in the health care field matters is asked (and I was one of those). Privately, I do consider the OChem more a surrogate for "can you understand and follow a bunch of pattern rules and arbitrary ones" and AChem as "are you neat about your work" than the actual subject matter. I really don't think the modern pharmacist applies the chemistry all that much anymore.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to whatever undergrad program will offer the most scholarship money and maintain a good GPA. A key point is to minimize those student loans! Take summer courses if you can and take the PCAT (ideally) after you have completed all the bio's, gen chem's, and at least the first ochem. This will help you as the subject matter will still be pretty fresh in your head. Buy a PCAT guide and spend a few hours a day reviewing for a month before the exam. Also, consider applying for a tech job. Depending on your state, you may only have to register with the board of pharmacy so look up you state's requirements. Admin committees like to see that you have already shown the initiative to work in the field. Also, seek out volunteer opportunities, and don't just show up one day and thats it. There is probably a free medical clinic near you. It is rewarding and good for the community. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Based on your title... You sound a bit unprofessional

OP, why is it you think you can't get in to VCU? Sure, it's competitive, but if you haven't even started undergrad yet, you have no way to know whether you're capable of getting the grades needed to get in. Not going there for undergrad doesn't necessarily mean anything either - I'm sure they'd be understanding about the fact that you got a scholarship from Hampton and want to stay close to family.

Anyway, I agree with the suggestion that you get some work experience. The only way to know if pharmacy is for you is to work at a pharmacy and see what they day-to-day life is like. Shadowing/volunteering probably won't give you a clear picture.

1. I lol'd at the title
2. Get a job in a pharmacy/retail type job where you have to deal with ****ty people
3. Do whatever is the cheapest

If you really want help from this forum, don't do pharmacy.

Keep your eyes on the prize; a stable job that offers financial security. No one knows if pharmacy will be financially rewarding or fulfilling 5 - 10 years from now. Right now most pharmacy school graduates have six figure loans they have to pay back, so keep that in mind when making your decision.

Duh. Pick the undergrad with the prettiest girls (or guys, depending who you are/what you're into).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app