Help a Socal kid dress for NY city!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droshan

Waitlist King!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this sounds stupid but I'm not really sure what to wear outside my interview in NY and Philly. The heaviest things I wear in LA are jeans and a sweater which I doubt will be sufficient in the east coast. What do you recommend I need to wear to stay warm!? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're from SoCal I'd probably say Long Johns and a Parka.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from the east coast and Hawaii lol so i would say a heavy heavy sweater

A coat? Maybe a warm hat and some mitts.

Thick coat (a long wool trench coat is allows a stylish option), gloves, scarf.

Hat - depends on whether it will mess your hair. My head never really gets cold as long as I cover my ears, neck, and face with a scarf.

The only other option would be to sprint from subway vent to subway vent. Just remember not to step on the homeless guy using it for his bed.

It's not that complicated to stay warm. Wear a hat, scarf, gloves, coat, sweater, undershirt, jeans, longer socks, and laced shoes. You will be comfortable and you can still be warm when you are outside.

My only problem with Long Johns is that you start sweating if you go into a well warmed building or a crowded subway car.

I was actually kidding, I only wear long johns if I'm in the wilderness and it's below 10 degrees. Bring a coat, hat, gloves if your hands get cold easily, and umbrella (I wouldn't think a Californian would understand the importance of always having an umbrella handy in NY!)

the_north_face_logo.jpg

The only other option would be to sprint from subway vent to subway vent. Just remember not to step on the homeless guy using it for his bed.

:laugh: I'll keep that in mind but that would be a tiresome option. I think I'll stick to the layers option. People will easily spot me as a socaler because of my attempt at layering socal clothes to warm up haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: I'll keep that in mind but that would be a tiresome option. I think I'll stick to the layers option. People will easily spot me as a socaler because of my attempt at layering socal clothes to warm up haha.

Don't worry, the New Englanders will die of laughter after seeing me wearing a whole bunch of SoCal clothes... :laugh: Huh, maybe that will take away some of the competition:smuggrin:

Yup, layers are good, but just make sure the top layer is a pretty serious coat. Scarf and gloves are useful. Make sure your shoes are waterproof just in case it's snowing and don't wear your nice interview shoes outside if you can help it. Make sure your bottom layer is something you'd actually wear in public cause they tend to overheat the inside of buildings.

Also, people forget this a lot, but make sure to bring lots of moisturizer and chapstick. Airplane + freezing cold wind blowing in your face + super-heated buildings = cracked hands, bright red face, and chapped lips.

Good call on the chapstick... I keep one in the pocket of each of my coats. Don't forget your multivitamins, too. ;)

Since you're from SoCal I'd probably say Long Johns and a Parka.

:laugh:

My SoCal friends now transplanted on the east coast are a riot during the winter. One had on gloves + hat when it was 50 degrees out; I was still wearing flip flops. They started whining when it got below 70 degrees. Might be a long winter, eh?

I don't think you will overheat if you wear long underwear. I grew up in SoCal as well and went to school in upstate New York, wore long underwear almost the entirety of my first year (in my defense, it was a COLD winter), and had a nice toasty bum the whole time :). Of course, I was wearing them under jeans and I don't know how thick your suit trousers are... and cities are always warmer than rural areas... but I don't think they will cause you to overheat as much as, say, your coat and scarf will when you step inside a hot building.

Also, if it's snowing bring an extra pair of shoes in case it's sludgy and roll up your pants! Salt stains are never, ever attractive.

hah. I'm from Socal, about to go to DC and I am wondering the exact same thing.

oh my god buy a long coat. like one that goes down to your calves. i was interviewing on the east coast and had one of those little 'peacoats' and it didn't do ****. and definately bring a scarf, because it snows. its ridiculous, it gets in your collar and everything. oh my god. snow.

gloves are also a really good idea. even a cheap, thin pair is better than none.

oh my god buy a long coat. like one that goes down to your calves. i was interviewing on the east coast and had one of those little 'peacoats' and it didn't do ****. and definately bring a scarf, because it snows. its ridiculous, it gets in your collar and everything. oh my god. snow.

:laugh:. I love snow, but not as much as seeing the panic it evokes from southerners.

Those hand warmers and jock warmers that snowboarders use are good. I think that you can get them at REI.

:laugh:. I love snow, but not as much as seeing the panic it evokes from southerners.
So true! I remember having school canceled when there was less than an inch of snow on the ground. I also remember there being over 700 wrecks in a single day in the Raleigh-Durham area after a small amount of ice and some snow fell. :laugh: