HELP! A tough decision!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deutsche106

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got my second MCAT score (28Q, 6V 11P, 11B), and I have a strong GPA of 3.93 (science GPA is also aroudn 3.90). To make things more complicated, I got an offer from Trinity College School of Medicine in Ireland, it's a great school but the only thing holding me back is that they don't prepare you for the USMLE (you have to study on your own) and their clinical rotations are different from the US. I just don't know whether I should decline the offer and apply US MD and DO schools this cycle with a possiblity that I may not get into a US MD school. It's a big gamble! I really don't know how to make decisions now. Please help me, any advance is appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I just got my second MCAT score (28Q, 6V 11P, 11B), and I have a strong GPA of 3.93 (science GPA is also aroudn 3.90). To make things more complicated, I got an offer from Trinity College School of Medicine in Ireland, it's a great school but the only thing holding me back is that they don't prepare you for the USMLE (you have to study on your own) and their clinical rotations are different from the US. I just don't know whether I should decline the offer and apply US MD and DO schools this cycle with a possiblity that I may not get into a US MD school. It's a big gamble! I really don't know how to make decisions now. Please help me, any advance is appreciated!!!

Not sure I understand...have you gone through at least one US cycle unsuccessfully?

Can you ask the school in Ireland to defer you for a year? And in that year give the US a try?

You would likely have great success at DO schools here, and could also land some US acceptances, too, with a well thought out list...

Hey guys,

That is a huge red flag for me. The USMLE means everything, no matter what degree you receive. If you're comfortable going DO, then absolutely DO is the better option if you want the best opportunity to pursue an american residency.

But if your heart is set on american allopathic, I think your verbal score can be fixed. I went from a 7 to an 11 in verbal. But you'll probably have to sit out one application period to do so. Personally, I think its a mistake to delay your education any longer than is absolutely necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure I understand...have you gone through at least one US cycle unsuccessfully?

You cann't defer the acceptance, it's either going there or not going there.

You would likely have great success at DO schools here, and could also land some US acceptances, too, with a well thought out list...
I know I have a chance at DO schools. But then the question comes to the vanity issue again about the title DO v.s MD. Here I have a chance with a MD school, but I have to do much much more on my own when it comes to USMLE preparation and getting back to US, or I could just stay here and go to a DO school (or MD school if I am lucky), without hassles to prepare USMLE and everything else, but there is no guarantee that I will get into a MD school here. Which US allopathic schools do I have a shot at? (NY resident). Thank you very much!

Can you ask the school in Ireland to defer you for a year? And in that year give the US a try?

Sorry didn't answer all the questions. I have already gone one US cycle with my first MCAT score, not this one (improved 5 points). You cann't defer the offer, it's either going there or not going there. Thanks

As far as I know, international medical schools do not offer MDs, the give MBBChs or something like that. Sooo you're not getting an MD if you go abroad, either. (I'm not saying you won't be a Dr, but if your issue with DO school is that it's not MD school, neither is a med school that is abroad). If your goal is to ultimately practice in the US, I would reapply to MD and DO schools next year.

You will have better luck going into DO than foreign MD, if you wanna practice in the US.

Last edited: