Help a writer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spunkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

This is a bit of an odd request, i know, but bear with me :)

Myself and several students of a screenwriting course are in the middle of writing a script and we've hit a bit of a stumbling block, which hopefully you will be able to help with.

Basically, in the story one character is taken to hospital, and is given two choices of treatment. One is riskier than the other, but would result in a better quality of life if successful.

Now being the stickler for accuracy I am, I was hoping to find an ailment to fit this profile, but unfortunately my medical expertise is still along the lines of giving people mercury to cure a headache :)

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

*edit*
I should mention that you will of course be given credit on the script.

*edit 2, the son of edit*
And sorry if I've put this in the wrong place, it's my first day here :)

Members don't see this ad.

Spunkey said:
Hi All!

This is a bit of an odd request, i know, but bear with me :)

Myself and several students of a screenwriting course are in the middle of writing a script and we've hit a bit of a stumbling block, which hopefully you will be able to help with.

Basically, in the story one character is taken to hospital, and is given two choices of treatment. One is riskier than the other, but would result in a better quality of life if successful.

Now being the stickler for accuracy I am, I was hoping to find an ailment to fit this profile, but unfortunately my medical expertise is still along the lines of giving people mercury to cure a headache :)

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

*edit*
I should mention that you will of course be given credit on the script.

*edit 2, the son of edit*
And sorry if I've put this in the wrong place, it's my first day here :)

Spunkey-

Give us more details about your character. Diseases depend on age groups.
Male? Female? age? sexually active? More story details. Come on story has to be realistic. Right?

Hmm, to fit in with the dramatic soap-opera storylines, something that may fit nicely into this is like...brain tumors. The choice would be between conservative management (radiotherapy, chemotherapy) and surgery to remove the lesion (riskier because of the structural and architectural considerations involved). In practice, with any type of cancer and actually any ailment, the conservative treatment is always taken first, except in individual cases where the patient has circumstances which might preclude conservative treatment. But say in brain cancers (as in any cancers), there are certain types which do not respond very well to conventional conservative treatments, and so therefore the "riskier" one is taken as a more first-line approach. The choice of course, is the patient's....

Gah! Sorry for the no-show guys I was away for the weekend.

Sorry NewYorker, I did mean to mention that, the character is male, in his late-forties, non-smoker but does drink.

Leorl - that sounds just about perfect for my needs, thanks!