HELP ADVICE/INFO NEEDED BRIDGE TO MD AUA IN MIAMI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aced2death

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

So I've recently been accepted into the Bridge to MD program at American University of Antigua. It's a 17 week course that''s online with the first and last week being in Miami. If you do well in it, you automatically get admission granted into AUA's school of medicine. I was trying to research this program from other students online and have found nothing. Has anyone heard good things about this program? How many students are in it? How many students go onto medical school? How difficult is it? Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So you pay a bunch of money and if you do well you get to pay more money for a Carribean M.D.? Sounds like a raw deal.

what's your stats and state of residence? Maybe we can help before the anti-Caribbean pile on gets too big.

I am having trouble imagining the scenario in which a bridge program to a carib school would be a worthwhile endeavor.
If you can't get into a carib school without a bridge program, you are heading down a path to gain a boatload of debt without any way to pay it back. If you are someone who is capable of succeeding in any med school, you would be better off doing an SMP or DIY postbacc to improve your grades and prove you academic capabilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you pay a bunch of money and if you do well you get to pay more money for a Carribean M.D.? Sounds like a raw deal.

what's your stats and state of residence? Maybe we can help before the anti-Caribbean pile on gets too big.

+1 to this. Even with Carrib hate aside, this program seems like your being shortchanged.

http://blog.auamed.org/blog/bid/340266/Bridge-to-MD-What-It-Is-and-Why-You-Should-Enroll

http://www.bridgetomd.org/

Here are the sites and the information regarding the program. As far as my stat's my GPA is a 1.6 unfortunately from Rutgers University in NJ and an 18 MCAT. I majored in Cell Biology/Neuroscience. I had personal problems(health related) that hindered my academic performance. I was dismissed from the school due to my low grades but I really do want to study medicine. This bridge program is really my only chance and i'm literally stuck as to what to do. I am in a better condition right now and I just need a 2nd chance really. This does seem to be my only hope so that's why i'm in a desperate situation and asking for advice.

Why not do some other classes in the US at a public (i.e. cost effective) school if you think that 1.6 is not representative of your aptitude. If you still can't do better during those, then why would you be able to do better after a pricey bridge program?. The programs in the carib, are often happy to take the money of someone who they do not believe will be able to succeed, and in many cases will dismiss students with debt they're subsequently unable to repay. They are preying on your desperation.

If you were dismissed from Rutgers, do you even have an undergrad degree?

http://blog.auamed.org/blog/bid/340266/Bridge-to-MD-What-It-Is-and-Why-You-Should-Enroll

Here are the sites and the information regarding the program. As far as my stat's my GPA is a 1.6 unfortunately from Rutgers University in NJ and an 18 MCAT. I majored in Cell Biology/Neuroscience. I had personal problems(health related) that hindered my academic performance. I was dismissed from the school due to my low grades but I really do want to study medicine. This bridge program is really my only chance and i'm literally stuck as to what to do. I am in a better condition right now and I just need a 2nd chance really. This does seem to be my only hope so that's why i'm in a desperate situation and asking for advice.

Oh my god, I cannot believe how unethical the Caribbean programs are that they would take your money. I mean I can believe it, because the world is a horrible place. But goddam.

If your academic problems stemmed purely from a health problem (did you also take the MCAT while symptomatic?) and not at all from ineffective study habits/prioritizing of activities, then it stands to reason that you should see what you need to do to get reinstated at Rutgers or if it's possible to attend another college. You also need to retake the MCAT. Hypothetically, if this health problem is under control, you will attain a solid score on the MCAT and a strong GPA. With a well-written personal statement, it might be possible to demonstrate your initial academic performance was an aberration and will not be your usual level of performance. Of course, some selective schools may not be sympathetic but I do believe you would be able to have some luck with a US DO/MD school. Obviously, I am not an admissions committee member but there are some very helpful adcom members in these forums who I'm sure could provide you with actual expertise.

If, however, your academic performance was even somewhat attributable to ineffective study habits and poor prioritizing, you'll need to work on that before making your next move. The Caribbean schools in some ways are even more challenging academically than US schools because they radically weed out admitted students in the first two years to keep their Step 1 passing rates artificially high. For someone who is not a self-starter, an independent learner, an efficient studier, and the like, I would imagine this is a very toxic environment to learn in and would be particularly difficult to excel in. You'll be left with a lot of debt and no good way to repay it.

There are a ton of stories (especially in the nontrad forum) about people overcoming significant obstacles (academic and otherwise) to become physicians. I would take a look at those and see what you can do to stay on US soil. You'll be thankful you did.
If you really want it, with enough hard work, you can do it. Good luck!

If your academic problems stemmed purely from a health problem (did you also take the MCAT while symptomatic?) and not at all from ineffective study habits/prioritizing of activities, then it stands to reason that you should see what you need to do to get reinstated at Rutgers or if it's possible to attend another college. You also need to retake the MCAT. Hypothetically, if this health problem is under control, you will attain a solid score on the MCAT and a strong GPA. With a well-written personal statement, it might be possible to demonstrate your initial academic performance was an aberration and will not be your usual level of performance. Of course, some selective schools may not be sympathetic but I do believe you would be able to have some luck with a US DO/MD school. Obviously, I am not an admissions committee member but there are some very helpful adcom members in these forums who I'm sure could provide you with actual expertise.

If, however, your academic performance was even somewhat attributable to ineffective study habits and poor prioritizing, you'll need to work on that before making your next move. The Caribbean schools in some ways are even more challenging academically than US schools because they radically weed out admitted students in the first two years to keep their Step 1 passing rates artificially high. For someone who is not a self-starter, an independent learner, an efficient studier, and the like, I would imagine this is a very toxic environment to learn in and would be particularly difficult to excel in. You'll be left with a lot of debt and no good way to repay it.

There are a ton of stories (especially in the nontrad forum) about people overcoming significant obstacles (academic and otherwise) to become physicians. I would take a look at those and see what you can do to stay on US soil. You'll be thankful you did.
If you really want it, with enough hard work, you can do it. Good luck!

Agree here.

If your academic troubles is due to health, DO with grade replacement may be a viable option but it'll be a long road ahead for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Those are really low stats. I know MCAT isn't well correlated with the Step but it seems like you will run into issues with the test.

I'm going to say though, with a GPA as low as 1.6, look into either SGU or Ross and see if they offer such a program. Isn't as respected as those 2.

If you can afford this program (has to be astronomical; prices not even available on website) why not just retake classes at a US school and gun for DO grade replacement?

This AUA thing is not getting you into any US school with those numbers and I don't think AUA is a good route given the ongoing expansion of US medical schools.

Assuming this is not a troll thread, it might be time to pursue another career. And I don't say that lightly.

Your second chance is redoing undergrad. Do 2-3 years with a solid GPA, retake the MCAT, and do well. If you were sick, as you say, that shouldn't be a huge issue. Then either do a US-affiliated SMP or apply directly to MD/DO programs.

Bridge the carib is a bridge to no where.

I am not saying any of this to be cruel, I just am hoping to save you from a massive financial mistake.

Making it through medical school is an incredible challenge even for people who excelled in undergrad. and crushed the MCAT. Your score on the MCAT was low, and your GPA is no better. I understand that you are desperate to become a physician (I was once an anxious pre-med too). However, in your case, I think it would be a serious mistake to rush into this.

If I were in your position, I would take the money you were planning to spend on this bridge program and look into gaining other health experience and education (perhaps volunteering/working after training as an EMT or LPN). Unlike medical school, that won't cost you 200,000 dollars. If I was successful in those other things, I would try going back to undergraduate. If I excelled in my second round of undergrad. and destroyed the MCAT, I would apply at that point. Hopefully this will be far enough down the road that schools will overlook your past failures in exchange for your present success.

The more time between your last failure and your application the better, and the more successful you are in the second round the better. Going to the carribean will likely cost you four years of time, income, and the debt of medical school, with nothing to show for it at the end.

It sounds like you need a fresh start more than anything else. Why not pursue a second bachelors? If you can't get reinstated at Rutgers, apply elsewhere, ideally a school where you can excel and also manage any Heath problems. At least that money won't be wasted, whereas going Carib has rather bleak prospects.