help an applicant out - PCOM vs. NSUCOM vs. NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTjay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
accepted so far to PCOM and NSUCOM, just got invited to NYCOM

leaning towards PCOM.

can any students please provide strengths/weaknesses of these programs???

thanks,

jay

Members don't see this ad.

When did you hear from NYCOM?

Also, are you a PT? If so, what do you think of the new Doctor of Physical Therapy programs?

PH

NSUCOM has great facilities. The financial aid people really helped me out. The location isn't bad either. The attendance policy is starting to get some of us down, though. Many of us learn differently and the NSU curriculum doesn't really allow for that. Every place is going to have +++ and ---. I guess it just depends on what your values are concerning your education and everything that goes along with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the exact situation 2 years ago.... I sat down with all 3 acceptance letters and stared to make lists weighing in all the factors that make the schools great and negatives. When all was said and done, I had this pretty impressive list that I wish i would have kept to share with you guys; however, i didn't really get anywhere in making up my mind. All of these 3 schools are excellent when compared on paper, where one might lack in something, it will make up for it in another area. Then I spoke to a buddy of mine who paradoxically is the last person that should give advice for carrer or academic decisions and got one of the best pieces of advice I've ever received....

Go where you think you are going to be the happiest for the next 4 years.

Anywhere you go, you will have a bright future, so there is nothing to worry about in that department. But I HATE this societal idea that you have to suffer to achieve anything. You have to suffer and be miserable in order to be complete and happy later on. It doesn't have to be like this.... This is your life you know... you cannot relive years once they're passed, there is no reason ever to not be able to enjoy yourself. Med school is rough any way you look at it, but I'm having a very wonderful time down here in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm learning more about myself and cultivating myself into a better person every day. Go where you are going to be the happiest and enjoy your life the most for the next four years... because that's really what's important....It is your life and it is on play, there is no pause button, don't forget that.

With that being said, I ruled out NYCOM because i didn't think i'd enjoy myself as much there... It came down to PCOM and NOVA and although i would have been happy at both of these schools, I chose NOVA for the reasons stated above.

you guys are great, thanks so much for all the comments so far, I hope to hear more.

PublicHealth, I PM'd you about the DPT.

Run to the sun. Medical school would be a little bit nicer with beaches and bikinis. I don't go to NSU, but if I had the option that is where I'd be heading.

Go to the school that you think is the best fit for you. When you are happy, you will work harder. So, go to a school where you think you will be happy.

im an intern , graduated from nsucom may 2003. All i have to say is med school in south florida...................priceless. For tuition, theres mastercard.

Great location, alot to do always, weather great. Much more positives.

Negatives are recent emphasis on attendance...............not everyone likes sitting through lecture from 8 to 5. Also, Monday testing sucks.................kills your whole weekend.

Large health professions center so also have students from OT,PT.pharm,PA,OD,speech therapy.....................and more/good blend/mix.....not just DO.

PCOM probably has best overall rep. Tough to choose philly over south florida though.

IN2BATE

I agree w/ IN2BATE, the Monday tests really stink!!! Instead of working hard during the week and playing hard on the weekend, now I just work.+pity+

any PCOM supporters out there? it's friggin freezin up here in CT and I'm sure it is in PA too (last I checked 81 and sunny in Fort Lauderdale).

Tough decision still.

Originally posted by RockandRolldoc
Go where you think you are going to be the happiest for the next 4 years.

Anywhere you go, you will have a bright future, so there is nothing to worry about in that department. But I HATE this societal idea that you have to suffer to achieve anything. You have to suffer and be miserable in order to be complete and happy later on. It doesn't have to be like this.... This is your life you know... you cannot relive years once they're passed, there is no reason ever to not be able to enjoy yourself. Med school is rough any way you look at it, but I'm having a very wonderful time down here in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm learning more about myself and cultivating myself into a better person every day. Go where you are going to be the happiest and enjoy your life the most for the next four years... because that's really what's important....It is your life and it is on play, there is no pause button, don't forget that.
This response was beautiful and right on. The decision should come down to where you would be the most happy.:)

Go where tuition is cheap, and you'll want to spend four years of your life. Only criteria you should use.

Q, DO

I debated back and forth between PCOM and NSUCOM last year at this time.... I went to undergrad in Philly and was pretty much miserable - I don't know if it was the weather or the city or the people or whatever - but I honestly can't think of the last time I've been as happy as I am here in Florida. When my dad came to visit me a few months ago (before midterms of course), he said he couldn't remember seeing me smile so much. So I definitely agree with the happiness thing.

My only regret about not going to PCOM is how close I would still be to my friends and family back home... but I have made amazing friends here that are like my family. That is another thing I've noticed about Nova... mostly everyone here is like that - we all look out for each other and we all are here to support each other - which is always good when you're in med school.

Just my two cents.... I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you go. Good luck with your decision.