Help! Another ugent LOR question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need some advice regarding a letter of recommendation. I graduated from a small liberal arts college in 2005. Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Biology major. 3.8 gpa and 35Q MCAT. I have two science professors who know me very well and who are writing letters of recommendation. For my third LOR, I asked a writing professor that I got to know to write my non-science recommendation. He readily agreed and I mailed this prof my background information several days ago.

Here is my problem. I took two nonscience classes pass/fail during college - an economics class and this writing class. I took the writing class pass fail because I was not sure that I would get an A in the class and I needed an A in the class to get Magna Cum Laude honors on my diploma (anything less than an A in that class would have put me below 3.8 and I would not have been Magna Cum Laude. So I played it safe and took the writing class pass/ fail. I did get Magna Cum Laude but ironically, I would have gotten an A in the class had I taken it for a grade.

But since I did not take the writing professor's class for a grade, can I still use him as my non-science professor LOR? Technically I did not take his class for a grade and my transcript reflects this. But the professor would state in his letter that my work was A quality but I think that I have stumbled on a technicality.

Should I withdraw my request and try to find another humanities or social sciences professor to write my LOR. I know the writing professor would write a strong letter for me but I don't want to blow my chances because I did not adhere to the letter of the law. I am under the gun for time with my Premedical Committee at college which requires all letters submitted by August 31.

Advice please!!! I really appreciate your expertise. Thanks much.

Searun

Members don't see this ad.

searun said:
I really need some advice regarding a letter of recommendation. I graduated from a small liberal arts college in 2005. Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Biology major. 3.8 gpa and 35Q MCAT. I have two science professors who know me very well and who are writing letters of recommendation. For my third LOR, I asked a writing professor that I got to know to write my non-science recommendation. He readily agreed and I mailed this prof my background information several days ago.

Here is my problem. I took two nonscience classes pass/fail during college - an economics class and this writing class. I took the writing class pass fail because I was not sure that I would get an A in the class and I needed an A in the class to get Magna Cum Laude honors on my diploma (anything less than an A in that class would have put me below 3.8 and I would not have been Magna Cum Laude. So I played it safe and took the writing class pass/ fail. I did get Magna Cum Laude but ironically, I would have gotten an A in the class had I taken it for a grade.

But since I did not take the writing professor's class for a grade, can I still use him as my non-science professor LOR? Technically I did not take his class for a grade and my transcript reflects this. But the professor would state in his letter that my work was A quality but I think that I have stumbled on a technicality.

Should I withdraw my request and try to find another humanities or social sciences professor to write my LOR. I know the writing professor would write a strong letter for me but I don't want to blow my chances because I did not adhere to the letter of the law. I am under the gun for time with my Premedical Committee at college which requires all letters submitted by August 31.

Advice please!!! I really appreciate your expertise. Thanks much.

Searun

dude.. chill out bro...
its the CONTENT of the letter thats important, not your grade. I used 3 letters 2 sci prof that i got A+s in and 1 writing class prof that i knew VERY WELL that i took for P NP b/c i didnt wanna lower my gpa either. And i still got an interview.. so just chill outv and use it

Sekiray said:
dude.. chill out bro...
its the CONTENT of the letter thats important, not your grade. I used 3 letters 2 sci prof that i got A+s in and 1 writing class prof that i knew VERY WELL that i took for P NP b/c i didnt wanna lower my gpa either. And i still got an interview.. so just chill outv and use it

I think that you need to read the requirments of the med schools that you are applying to. Like a lawyer. If the rule of the med school states that you must have a letter of recommendation has to be from a professor who gave you a grade...then the issue is what is the definition of taking a course for a grade. And if taking a course pass/fail does not constitute taking a course for a grade, then submitting an essay from a professor from whom you took a pass fail course (even if the professor likes you) would not satisfy this requirment. With all due respect, I don't think it is about "feel good and go with it" I think you actually need to read the requirments of the schools that you are applying to - and make sure that you meet those requirments, otherwise you could be rejected for reasons that have nothing to do with your merit. I am simply trying to get some comments from people that have dealt with this issue. So it is not about trying to "chill out", I am a pretty relaxed guy, but I would be pretty annoyed with myself, if I did not submit the letters of recommendations that are required by the med schools that I want to enter, if possible. So anyone who has experience with the question that I posed, please reply.

Searun

Members don't see this ad :)
why not just call the schools you're applying to and ask what they think?

yep i'd call them. and if worst comes to worst, what would be wrong with keeping the strong letter you already have and getting an extra letter just in case? many schools encourage extra letters. hope this helps.

and feel free to read my signature.