Help, any one from philadelphia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALI

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I made a stupid mistake today. I booked my flight the wrong time. instead of arriving at Philadephia at 10 am I will be arriving at 10 pm. It was my first time booking flight online and I was not very careful.
For those who have been there or from the area. Is it dangerous for me to get to a motel from airport that late at night? Is public transportation safe? how is the area aound Temple?Any advice? It might be my first interview and I have never left california alone. I am nervous already.

Also, how is the weather going to be early october???
what should I expect?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Ali,

I know what your going through man. I have an interview at Temple on 9/23 and I'm pretty nervous too. And I also never flew outside of cali by myself either. I'm hoping everything will go smoothly and that the whole experience will be a good one.
Where are you staying? I'm staying at the Holiday Inn that was suggested on the attachment from Mark Lombard. It's like 3.5 miles away from school so I probably have to take the subway. From people I talked to, the area the school is actually located in is pretty ghetto so I'm assuming its not so safe. By the way where are you staying? And how much did you spend on your flight? As for the weather, I checked on yahoo and there will be thunderstorms this weekend and next week (I hoping there won't be when I have the interview there) so I think that you should expect rain when you get there.

It is good to know that Im the only one going through this.
I spent 256 on my ticket. what do you think? is that reasonable? I heard southwest is cheap but toobad they dont stop at philadelphia. I havent make any reservation for hotel, but probably some where cheaper.
Holiday inn sounds too luxurious for me and on top of that I will be staying there for two nites. I ll probably use my sunday for sight seeing and stuff. keep me posted about how it goes.
Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah temple's area is ghetto, sorry Very ghetto. don't reccomend ging there at night. for hotels. I would stay at ones located by the public transportation. To get to temple you have to take the Broad street Line, I think it is blue on most maps and the regional rails will feed into it. it isn't that complicated. But the porblem is that onthe north borad line it stops at temple university proper, NOT Temple dental. so i think that you have to walk up like 2 1/2 blocks on broad street. when you get up there temple dental I think is on your left. Driving i would say is easier, but this isn't a bad route either. call the temple people and ask them for more specific directions and public transportation stops. OH yeah not to self, don't be looking around at everything and carrying an easily accessible hand bag, I don't mean to scare you or make you seem stupid in city situations, but it isn't a really really bad looking area but know that things are worse than they seem. OK?? if you want to talk more. email me at [email protected].

when is your interview??? and if you have a borders book store around you go there and get this little lamiated map of philly. its awesome and has all the public transportation lines on it and all the site seeing stuff too. let me know how it goes, Liz

I observed at Temple last year (while my friend was actually interviewing there) and as EAK said, it is way ghetto. I wouldn't venture away from the dental building if the sun was going down. Follow the instructions that EAK gave as far as being aware of your surroundings, and appear to know where you are going, even if you don't.

hey guys,

well, I'm here if Philly right now!! having a blast the area is awesome. Ghetto? yes there are ghetto parts but the history is awesome too. I have my Temple interview tomorrow. Just be vigilant. Remember no one is going to kick your ass unless you provoke them so be nice to everyone.

DesiDentist

Originally posted by DesiDentist
hey guys,

well, I'm here if Philly right now!! having a blast the area is awesome. Ghetto? yes there are ghetto parts but the history is awesome too. I have my Temple interview tomorrow. Just be vigilant. Remember no one is going to kick your ass unless you provoke them so be nice to everyone.

DesiDentist

Good luck Desi on Temple! I'll see ya at UPENN on Friday. Look for a blue-suited filipino :D

Originally posted by DesiDentist
hey guys,

DesiDentist

Good luck at that Temple interview -- I'm sure you'll do well. How'd the DAT go? And oh yeah, people will kick your ass regardless of what you do to them.

Good Luck Desi!!! Let us know how your interviews went!!! :clap:
I'm going to Penn myself in 2 weeks... anxious.. still gotta buy plane ticket....

~Qoo

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
Good luck at that Temple interview -- I'm sure you'll do well. How'd the DAT go? And oh yeah, people will kick your ass regardless of what you do to them.

Perfect vision baby.

Thanks guys, I will update all of you. I'm just glad to get my DAT done.

Good luck Desi and congrats on the DAT! I'll be interviewing at Temple this Friday. Good luck at Penn as well!

Too bad one can't arrange to travel to the interviews in groups... Safety in numbers, you know. :D

to Desi and Ali: May the Force be with you!

Hi guys
I found a cheap hostel in Fairmount park, philadelphia. 13 bucks a night sounds pretty good to me. Before I make my reservation are there anything I need to be aware of?

I'm not quite sure why a hotel would offer a room for $13 a night. The most obvious reason would be that the hotel is NOT in high demand, and is clamoring for business. What is the name of the hotel?

I found a cheap hotel when I went to interview at Case (Cleveland) and it was the worst experience of my life. In hindsight, I would have gladly shelled out $150 for a decent place, rather than the $50 I paid for the ghetto I stayed in. Long story short: My room connected to another room via an access door, but the door wouldn't close all of the way, so it was always open 2-3 inches. The guy in the other room had 3 hookers over that night, and needless to say, I found it hard to sleep. My "airport shuttle" was a crappy, run-down van, and the driver refused to take me to the airport at 7am, which was the time I needed to be there! Just thinking about the experience makes me angry.

I'd be VERY wary of a $13 hotel.

It is a international hoStel
basic they provide you with a bed and more like a dorm.

I have stayed in international hostels all over...xcept in the US. Basically you will have bunk beds in a large hall with shared bathrooms. Just make sure you get up well in advance so that you have time to cut the shower lines. Also be careful with your stuff...leave them in the lockers if available.