Help: anyone from St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PickleLuvrrr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I really need some help from anyone who is familiar with St. Louis. I got in off the Wash U. waitlist yesterday, and I have only until Friday to decide. Here's my situation: my boyfriend and I were planning to move together wherever I ended up going to school, but because the acceptance came really early, we hadn't had a chance to do our research and see if St. Louis would be a suitable location for both of us (we had just finished evaluating my previous two options). What complicates things is that he is currently in investment banking and needs to find a comparable job in either finance or consulting because of his career/grad school goals.

Now...neither of us knows anything about St. Louis, but it seems like there would really be a lack of job prospects for him there. Can anyone familiar with the city either confirm or negate this? I'm hoping that perhaps there's a booming financial district that I simply don't know about...? I really love Wash U., but it's very hard for me to think about moving there if he can't join me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I really need some help from anyone who is familiar with St. Louis. I got in off the Wash U. waitlist yesterday, and I have only until Friday to decide. Here's my situation: my boyfriend and I were planning to move together wherever I ended up going to school, but because the acceptance came really early, we hadn't had a chance to do our research and see if St. Louis would be a suitable location for both of us (we had just finished evaluating my previous two options). What complicates things is that he is currently in investment banking and needs to find a comparable job in either finance or consulting because of his career/grad school goals.

Now...neither of us knows anything about St. Louis, but it seems like there would really be a lack of job prospects for him there. Can anyone familiar with the city either confirm or negate this? I'm hoping that perhaps there's a booming financial district that I simply don't know about...? I really love Wash U., but it's very hard for me to think about moving there if he can't join me. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm not an expert on St. Louis, but I do know that there is a pretty large financial district. Not to mention that any major city such as St. Louis will have its fair share of jobs.

In terms of safety, the hospital and med school are in decent areas (at least in my opinion).

Is WashU your only acceptance? You might want to weigh it with your other choices. WashU is a great name and a great school, but it's best to choose the school you like best in the city which best suits you.

With that said, I do believe WashU is a good school and I know that there is a large financial district only a few miles from the WashU Med school.

Best of luck on your decision,
-Dr. P.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. Yes, I found AG Edwards as well, didn't know it was the headquarters in St. Louis though. As of Tuesday, I had decided on Pitt, so that's the other city we're considering. Also not great for finance, but at least there are McKinsey and Deloite offices there, and it seems to be a little more promising in terms of jobs.

I personally have no problems with St. Louis as a city, and it's the closest place to home (Chicago) that I got into. I would love to be just a few hour drive away from my family.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Wash U seems to be ranked highly every year, so the opportunity is amazing. I understand you are in to an extent, as my husband is going to drop everything and move wherever I get in when I apply next year. Make sure you are thinking about your future also as you weigh your boyfriend's too. Four years of medical school isn't a walk in the park, so pick the school that will make you happy, and I'm sure wherever that is - your boyfriend can find a place to work. St. Louis is a fairly busy city, so I'm sure there is someplace he can get in at even if it is a smaller firm or business. Just make sure you are happy with the decision you make, and I urge you to make sure you don't decide for or against a school on the basis of your relationship.

I have close friends who are business majors who moved to St. Louis after graduation and had no problem finding the kind of financial jobs they wanted. If you were weighing WashU against a school in, say, NYC, I might advise you differently, but a fantastic opportunity like attending WashU (and being closer to your family in the mix!) seems to outweigh the (I believe) pretty minimal difference between the job markets in St. Louis and Pittsburgh. Good luck!

Thanks Julia and glamqueen. We are actually living in NYC right now, which is probably why it's so tough to compare whatever St. Louis may have to offer to his current job situation. Well, I've got 2 more days to think about this...

You may be in luck. I went to Wash U, am from St. Louis, and my dad works in finance. From a living perspective, it would definitely be suitable. From a financial perspective, it's not booming like New York or Chicago, but there are financial companies (Edward Jones is a big one in St. Louis)/investment banking opportunities that your boyfriend probably could procure. PM me with any specific questions.

There should not be a problem finding a finance job in Saint Louis if he has some experience. AG Edwards and Edward Jones are two very large financial companies with major operations in Saint Louis that are great places to work. Many regional banks also have large centers in Saint Louis such as Commerce Bancshares. Powerhouse companies with significant presence in StL include Bank of America, Citigroup, Accenture, and Ernst & Young.

There should not be a problem finding a finance job in Saint Louis if he has some experience. AG Edwards and Edward Jones are two very large financial companies with major operations in Saint Louis that are great places to work. Many regional banks also have large centers in Saint Louis such as Commerce Bancshares. Powerhouse companies with significant presence in StL include Bank of America, Citigroup, Accenture, and Ernst & Young.

Thanks! That's a lot more information than I've found all day doing my own research at work. :)