*HELP* anyone heard of TSOM? (trinity school of medicine)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But, you're making the illogical leap in trying to conflate this concept into some additional argument that the British education system is inherently superior to the U.S. one. It just isn't.

-Skip

It is.

Have you completed your education in both countries? No.

Members don't see this ad.

AH! Finally. British arrogant superiority-complex rearing its ugly head. That's all we needed to know. Thank you.

-Skip

But you are qualified to say that US education is equivalent to ours? Interesting. I have received some of my education in the US thanks.

You're the one who compared UK schools to US ones, and said they were superior. I never made such a comparison. I called you out because you chose to bash US schools when you weren't even familiar with the quality of our education. Also, as to your claim that you received some education in US schools, how much did you receive? A few weeks? A month? As part of an exchange program? And what kind of school did you study in? A public high school? A private one? A college? Unless you have been studying in our schools for quite some time, you really are not qualified to pass judgment on the quality of our education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have been studying in our schools for quite some time, you really are not qualified to pass judgment on the quality of our education.

Of course s/he is!

It's clear that even the lowest-ranking schools in Manchester or Liverpool are far superior to our Harvards, Dukes, Johns-Hopkinses, Stanfords, and Yales. After all, we know all of the most important world-changing discoveries come out of England or, at the very least, English-educated people. The British education system is S-U-P-E-R-I-O-R, damn you man!!!

Sun never sets on the British Empire. Never forget that. Never forget.

-Skip

Of course s/he is!

It's clear that even the lowest-ranking schools in Manchester or Liverpool are far superior to our Harvards, Dukes, Johns-Hopkinses, Stanfords, and Yales. After all, we know all of the most important world-changing discoveries come out of England or, at the very least, English-educated people. The British education system is S-U-P-E-R-I-O-R, damn you man!!!

Sun never sets on the British Empire. Never forget that. Never forget.

-Skip

You're right! We poorly-educated Americans must kowtow to Bambi and her superior British education! :bow:

You're right! We poorly-educated Americans must kowtow to Bambi and her superior British education! :bow:
You're the one who compared UK schools to US ones, and said they were superior. I never made such a comparison. I called you out because you chose to bash US schools when you weren't even familiar with the quality of our education. Also, as to your claim that you received some education in US schools, how much did you receive? A few weeks? A month? As part of an exchange program? And what kind of school did you study in? A public high school? A private one? A college? Unless you have been studying in our schools for quite some time, you really are not qualified to pass judgment on the quality of our education.

Americans are far more arrogant about their education than anyone else in the world.

It was more than a few weeks thank you, many months at what is supposed to be one of your best medical schools. Not to mention the fact that almost my entire family is American and therefore American educated and I have had a great insight into their education. I have more than familiar with the "quality" of your education. You say I am not qualified to pass judgement on the quality of your education yet you can pass judgement on ours? Have you experienced education anywhere outside of the US? If you are suggesting our lowest ranked schools are in Manchester and Liverpool that again reflects the lack of knowledge on your part.

The reasons there are more discoveries etc coming out of the US than the UK are simple, numbers and money.

Let it go, Bambi. You're starting to look like a DB.

-Skip

Americans are far more arrogant about their education than anyone else in the world.

It was more than a few weeks thank you, many months at what is supposed to be one of your best medical schools. Not to mention the fact that almost my entire family is American and therefore American educated and I have had a great insight into their education. I have more than familiar with the "quality" of your education. You say I am not qualified to pass judgement on the quality of your education yet you can pass judgement on ours? Have you experienced education anywhere outside of the US? If you are suggesting our lowest ranked schools are in Manchester and Liverpool that again reflects the lack of knowledge on your part.

The reasons there are more discoveries etc coming out of the US than the UK are simple, numbers and money.

Bambi, learn to read posts. First of all, I wasn't the one saying British schools were inferior. Nor was I the one saying your lowest ranked schools were in Manchester and Liverpool. Those were quotes from other posters, not me. Didn't your superior British education cover some basic reading comprehension skills?

Second, you say you are familiar with our American education system because your whole family was educated in the US. So you're saying that your whole family is poorly educated, then?

Oh, and even though I'm American educated, I do know that there is no such phrase as "I have more than familiar." Its "I am more than familiar." And "not to mention the fact that almost my entire family is American and therefore Amercian educated and I have had a great insight into their education," is a run-on sentence by the way.

Oh, and by the way, I find it interesting that we Americans, with our so-called inferior education, have managed to put people on the moon whereas I have yet to see any of you Brits with your supposedly better education even launch a manned spaceflight into orbit.

Last edited:
Bambi, learn to read posts. First of all, I wasn't the one saying British schools were inferior. Nor was I the one saying your lowest ranked schools were in Manchester and Liverpool. Those were quotes from other posters, not me. Didn't your superior British education cover some basic reading comprehension skills?

Second, you say you are familiar with our American education system because your whole family was educated in the US. So you're saying that your whole family is poorly educated, then?

Oh, and even though I'm American educated, I do know that there is no such phrase as "I have more than familiar." Its "I am more than familiar." And "not to mention the fact that almost my entire family is American and therefore Amercian educated and I have had a great insight into their education," is a run-on sentence by the way.
You deserve a gold star. Point made

Bambi, when you visited the US medical school, you likely were at least an above average student at your own medical school to be given the privilege to visit another school, especially a top one like you said.

You were comparing yourself to people in that school who were all over the spectrum from top students to poor students. If you compare a top 10% UK student to lets say an average US student of course you may perceive your education to be better.

More importantly, it doesn't matter. Both countries have low mortality rates, high quality healthcare and there aren't any major healthcare issues (by this i mean people dying right left and center due to physician incompetence) in both countries. So really there isn't any big difference and no real reason to compare.

Shake and bake Bambi...Shake and Bake! #'Merica

TSOM seems to have an aggressive ad campaign. I also received an email from the prestigious TSOM telling me that it's still not too late for me to join medical school in the Fall of 2014. Sounds awfully tempting but I won't fall for it. That's the issue with most Carib medical schools. Their offer of an easy acceptance is very tempting to a stressed out worried medical school applicant. Plus the name Trinity sounds prestigious lol.

TSOM seems to have an aggressive ad campaign. I also received an email from the prestigious TSOM telling me that it's still not too late for me to join medical school in the Fall of 2014. Sounds awfully tempting but I won't fall for it. That's the issue with most Carib medical schools. Their offer of an easy acceptance is very tempting to a stressed out worried medical school applicant. Plus the name Trinity sounds prestigious lol.

I got the same email. Considering you have to apply now to get into med school next August in the states, this whole "apply in June and start in September" thing just makes their school sound like a joke. Basically they're saying "please come here, we're desperate."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Tsom is a school that will provide a way for students who would otherwise be unable to go to medical school. It is accredited and you can go to US residencies. Students get a quality education and generally have high step one scores.

The program is highly militaristic and will treat you like a child. If you are the kind of person who wants the freedom to pursue additional opportunities. It is hard at trinity. Students who push them selves to go above and beyond, as well as thinking for themselves are routinely punished. At Trinity understand that you are not cared about. They will make you a doctor but keep your head down and just get through it.

Hello everyone. Trinity hasn't utilized these forums very much in the past. In light of this fact, I am here to answer any questions or concerns that prospective applicants may have regarding our program.

The following are a few updates on Trinity School of Medicine for your information:

· We are a small program: Our January class is at 20-30 students, while our largest class in September is at 60-70 students.

· Excellent student: faculty ratio, academic advising, student mentoring, as well as limited research opportunities.

· Traditional MD track and Individualized Learning Program (ILP) track option available to select students for a more tailored, slower-paced curriculum.

· Early clinical exposure & integration via our partnership with Milton Kato hospital (220-bed hospital).

· Trinity is the only school in St. Vincent and the Grenadines with CAAM-HP accreditation.

· Strong organizational leadership: Our founding Chancellor is Dr. Douglas Skelton, who has over 15 years of US medical school leadership experience at Mercer University School of Medicine. Our Dean of Students is Dr. Linda Adkison, an accomplished researcher and geneticist, who has taught at Kansas City University School of Medicine in Kansas City. Also, Dr. Frederick Ballantine (Howard University & SUNY Upstate medical school graduate) is the Governor General of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, who attends our white coat ceremonies each term. We have a positive relationship with both the government and the citizens of SVG.

· The CAAM-HP standards adopted by St. Vincent and used to evaluate Trinity are recognized by the US Department of Education’s NCFMEA. This is a major step in regards to our concerted effort at receiving Title IV status.

Scholarships/grants: We offer MCAT scholarships to applicants with scores above 504. Additional scholarships and grants have been awarded due to research/publication experience, military service, community service, as well as financial hardship.

·
All of our core (3rd year) clinical rotations take place in Baltimore. Additionally, we have clinical rotation slots available for every student that is admitted.

· A major construction project has begun on island including new classrooms, lecture halls, student meeting rooms. There is also new student housing under construction.

Our match rate is 86%. While our program does not produce the volume of graduates or total number of matches per year compared other larger programs, our relative percentage of graduates who obtain a PGY1 position in the Match is higher.

· Our attrition rate is 13-15% from matriculation to graduation.

· Our average USLME Step 1 score is 220, with highs in the 255-257 range.

· Our average USMLE Step 2 CK score is 234, with highs in the 255-258 range.

· Next year, Trinity will meet the minimum time-established threshold to apply for tax benefits for Canadian students borrowing money to attend.

· Our campus has developed a culture focused on outreach and philanthropy. Some of these endeavors are driven by the school (WPP, Rotary Village Doctor event), while other events (i.e. orphanage visits, cancer 5K, St. Vincent Humane Society, toiletry, clothing, and toy drives) are entirely student driven.

· AMSA student leadership opportunities are available.

· Student founded and run groups include a broad diversity of communities. Groups include Canadian, Christian, Muslim, Caribbean, medical specialty clubs (surgery, etc.), research, like-minded activities such as SCUBA, and animal rescue are available.

2016 Trinity by the Numbers facts and figures:
  • Total enrollment: 407
  • Average GPA: 3.15
  • Average MCAT: 24
  • 303 universities represented
  • Student citizenship: 71% US, 15% Canada, 11% international
  • 10:1 student:faculty ratio
  • 93% first attempt USMLE Step 1 pass rate (1st attempt, 4/15-3/16)
  • 220 average USMLE Step 1 score (1st pass, 4/15-3/16)
*Statistical information referenced above reflects information available as of March 2016 and will be updated on an ongoing basis.

Speaking as a US-IMG who has successfully navigated through the entire process of both international medical education and the Match process prior to joining medical school administration, this program is best designed to allow for excellent student mentoring, faculty exposure, early clinical integration, and is based on a culture of student collaboration and cooperation.

We are available both on AMCAS as well as trinityschoolofmedicine.org.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would be happy to discuss further.

Kind regards,
Dr. Wollman

Here's my only advice:

(1) Show your sister this thread, invite her to join the forum, and then have her post her own questions.

(2) Although we all admire your concern, assuming that she is a competent adult and/or not otherwise your legal or financial responsibility, I would completely divorce yourself from her decisions. You are not her keeper.

-Skip

lol u mad brah?

lol u mad brah?

Wait a minute...

You create (most likely) a sock-puppet account to necromance a thread I posted 4 1/2 years ago?

I've posted a lot (before and) since then. Catch up.

:)

-Skip

Wait a minute...

You create (most likely) a sock-puppet account to necromance a thread I posted 4 1/2 years ago?

I've posted a lot (before and) since then. Catch up.

:)

-Skip

Is there a perpetual presence of some kind of pipe up your fartbox?

Is there a perpetual presence of some kind of pipe up your fartbox?

Serious question - did you attend TSOM? If not, what is your purpose here?

If you attended TSOM, why don't you share your succeesses (or lack thereof)? Otherwise, I will assume, based on your scant posting pattern, that you are nothing more than some run-of-the-mill wannabe.

Not expecting much else.

-Skip

Last edited:
Thank you for reading the thread. We posted a new blog complete with our most recent residency matches by program and state.

Please feel free to click the following link and review our 2017 successes.

Trinity School of Medicine Celebrates Residency Match Success in 2017: New Programs, New States, and a Growing Reputation in Healthcare

Just curious, I clicked on your link and it didn't have any numbers... like at all. The closest thing is a geographical map showing where your graduates have matched, and even then it is including all your graduates since your first graduating class in 2012.
block_2.png

Would you care to elaborate on the 2017 match with some numbers? Number of students matched, percentage, etc. I think it would help those in this forum make an informed decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Pocket Rockets for your question. Our current match rates are 84% for US citizens and 80% for Canadian citizens. We tend to talk about the overall history of the school in this data because we’re a young school, relatively speaking, approaching the decade mark. This means there’s a lot of new territory for our students to grow into. And while Step-1 has been, and likely will remain, the #1 criteria for residency directors year after year, our name being familiar to directors, and having a hard working, compassionate face attached to that name in a new area is always a factor for subsequent students seeking residency. So, we celebrated it in a graphical blog post this year. Please feel free to message me directly if anyone has additional questions.

I literally just met a guy who recently graduated from there. He is currently an internal medicine resident at a pretty decent hospital in a nice area. When I asked him about it, he said that his class size was only 40 which went down from about 60-70 to begin with and most of the people with no red flags got a residency. When I asked him about the people who didn't make it he said those people were the ones who treated medical school like a giant vacation or were not taking it seriously at all. Of course its better to go to a more established Caribbean school and even better, a US school, but apparently people do get residencies from there.