Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Help anyone?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bentz, Nov 15, 2001.

1. bentz

bentz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Can you guys please rate Princeton Test A, B, C, D, and AAMC test I II, III, IV against the real MCAT test. Some people say that the princeton materials are harder than the real test. Is that true? Do those test really measure any succuss in the real test? How did you guys go on praticing for verbal? I need serious help in verbal. Please, Help anyone!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I took AAMC I-IV, but none of the princeton ones. As for AAMC, I and II are too easy, but still good practice. III and IV are closer to the real thing. I actually did better on the real thing than I did on III and IV.

As for verbal, if you're having trouble I'd say do lots of practice passages, especially the AAMC ones. Make sure you go over which questions you get wrong and why, so you get a feel for the mind-set of the test.

3. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I found the Princeton tests to be slightly harder than the real thing, and the focus was slightly different. I hated the Kaplan ones that came out of their MCAT book - I found them too focused on stupid little facts that you were supposed to pick up on. The real MCATs that I have written (April and August of this year) were not nearly as focused on memorization than the Kaplan test. Eventually, I gave up on the Kaplan science sections, and just stuck to doing Princeton Review problems.

AAMC I & II I didn't really like either. III & IV are pretty close to the real thing. I didn't have V, but it is supposed to be pretty good as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I concur. I and II are easier, III and IV are representative.

5. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree. AAMC tests I & II are good but not quite like the real thing. Tests III, IV, and V are much better and good predictors of my actual score.

For help in verbal I suggest doing as many passages as you can. Go to your local library and get your hands on every graduate level exam-prep book you can (GMAT, LSAT, GRE, OAT, DAT, VAT, etc.) and do every single verbal passage. You can also find a lot of cheap used books like this on e-bay. There are many books just dedicated to the reading comprehension sections of the tests above. All the tests are pretty similar in terms of the reading comprehension section.

Get used understanding what the questions are asking for. You can become so good that you will be able to answer some of the questions after just a quick skim of the passage. Remember that there are only a few type of verbal questions: main idea, inference, detail, etc. Once you learn how to answer each of these type your score will improve drastically. Study concepts to improve on physical and biological sciences, practice to improve on verbal. Good luck.