HELP: Apply now or wait for scores!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Atlas, May 6, 2002.

  1. Atlas

    Atlas Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2001
    Messages:
    844
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Hey y'all,

    What should I do?

    1. Apply now without my MCAT scores and hope they come back competitive

    or

    2. Fill out the application and sit on it until I get my scores back before sending it out?

    Please help.

    Thanks
     
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Atlas

    Atlas Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2001
    Messages:
    844
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Also, I don't recall ever designating my MCAT scores to AACOMAS on test day. What do I have to do?
     
  4. Atlas,

    Call the MCAT service and tell them you wish to release your scores to the AACOMAS service. They may charge you a small fee, but that is how it is done. They also may request a signed form.

    It is a tough choice. I know when I took the April MCAT a long time ago and I applied, I waited for my scores. Applying near the end of June is still plenty early in the process, and you will be sure of your credentials. Technically they can't do anything with your application without your MCAT scores anyway, and the schools are notified via AACOMAS by a new profile sheet. Once AACOMAS receives your scores they will then update your profile and mail it to each school. You'd think that would only take a few days, but in my experience it can take as long as 3-4 weeks, about the same time as it takes to process a whole new application. So I'm not sure you'd be getting it in any earlier by applying now.

    I'm not saying not to apply now. That is a choice you'll have to make. I'm just saying what I did based on what I know.

    Best Wishes

    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Atlas:
    <strong>Hey y'all,

    What should I do?

    1. Apply now without my MCAT scores and hope they come back competitive

    or

    2. Fill out the application and sit on it until I get my scores back before sending it out?

    Please help.

    Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
     
  5. BadVB750

    BadVB750 Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2002
    Messages:
    461
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    I'm in the same boat as you are. I am going to fill out the application and wait to see what my scores are. This way I can apply to the schools that are in-line with my MCAT scores.
     
  6. Atlas

    Atlas Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2001
    Messages:
    844
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Gosh! I've got quite a decision to make. I mean, as a part of my summer undergraduate research program at Ohio U, I'm gonna get an interview this summer for the class of 2003. I hope I don't miss out on the opportunity to interview this summer now. Why don't the MCAT folks make it more explicit to pre-DO students what they need to do? I mean, I thought my scores were collected by the application services from the MCAT folks. I guess I'll apply now and hurry up to try to get my MCATs to AACOMAS ASAP. I figure that's my only shot. That way, when June 1 rolls around, I'll have my application basically done minus the MCAT scores. I don't think I want to jeopardize my chances at Ohio U, especially since my interview will be in late July. I guess I'll request that my scores be sent to AACOMAS tomorrow. Now...how do I go about doing that? Thanks for all your help.

    Sincerely,

    Atlas
     
  7. Doc Blondie

    Doc Blondie Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2001
    Messages:
    43
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello all,
    My experience is that you should apply. Don't wait. I had two fronds that waited and they both got screwed. One got the scoreshe wanted but he just got screwed by the system. another waited and the stuff got there later. and she was told at after an interview if she got her stuff in sooner she would have gotten in. It takes a lot less time for mcat scores to be processed then a whole application. so, even if the schools are waiting for mcats you are already ready. if you have done so bad that you are gong to take them again in august, stuff is going to be held anyway and you are going to have to wait. Now this is just MY opinion. ultimately its your desicion. good luck
     
  8. jrich15

    jrich15 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Messages:
    62
    Likes Received:
    0
    Atlas,
    I did the same thing in August. Go to the MCAT website and print up the additional scores request (SAR). Fax it too them. Call and make sure they receive it. Keep emailing them until you get confirmation they have been sent..it takes at least two weeks for the request to be processed. Then contact AACOMAS to see if they have received them. Stay on them. It took two requests and two and a half months for mine to get to AACOMAS. It is pxn in the butt to say the least. But don't fret..just make sure they do it. I would also go ahead and apply now. The good thing about osteopathic schools is that they look past MCAT. If you scores are too low, they will just hold you application until the better scores from August come in. Also by the way, most people feel they did poor before there scores come in. You may be pleasantly suprised. I know I was. Good luck.
     

Share This Page