Help Appreciated (Stats within)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koniekav

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, firstly I would like to thank you for viewing my thread and for any advice you wish to give me. I just recently became a member after realizing that I have done almost no medical school research and don't know if I have much of a chance getting in. This is my senior year at a Florida public university and before being plunged into the real world I wish to know what I should do in my leap year to increase my chances of getting into medical school. Here are my stats:

Degrees: Biochemistry, Biological Science
Minors: Psychology, Biomedical Physics, Math and Chemistry

cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.79

MCAT: Not taken, need to know what I should score and then what schools to apply for

Ethicity: Cuban (not sure if considered URM)

ECs:

Research (over 400 hours): Conducted research under a professor working on determination of the function of a novel tegument protein in Kaposi's Sarcoma Associated Herpesvirus for 2 years. No publications, won a research scholarship, didn't complete honors thesis, and presented at a research symposium for the school.

Volunteering (over 200 hours): Volunteered as an Emergency Medical Responder (First Responder) for the university for 2 years wherein I provided basic life support, medical and trauma aid to university students and staff.

Shadowing (incalculable but over 1000 hours): Father is a general surgeon so I shadowed him and his colleagues (all general surgeons, one neurosurgeon) since I was in high school. Seen countless operations of all types and consider all of people I shadowed friends since I've known them for years and we speak regularly (I come in to shadow all the time when I'm back home).

School Positions: Member of several clubs and honor societies but not very meaningful. Was the treasurer for the Hispanic Student Union for 1 year in which I managed a $40,000 budget so I had to fund and design events to proliferate hispanic culture and awareness.

Basically thats me in a nut shell. Now what I would like is for you guys to give me advice on the following:

1. What are my weaknesses thus far? (I can elaborate on what I wrote; ex provide total grade report, details of research, etc)
2. What should I do on my gap year to improve weaknesses?
3. What MCAT score should I get to get into Florida Schools and perhaps out of state schools I might have a chance for?
4. Any advice you wish to give me since I a neonate in all this medical school business.

Again thank you all very much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I don't see any. I would continue to volunteer or doing medically related activities during your gap year as many secondaries ask what are you currently up to when you apply.
2. -
3. I'd imagine a 30 and you're gold. I could see you getting accepted with a 28.
4. Don't obsess over it too much. Apply early if at all possible.

1. I don't see any. I would continue to volunteer or doing medically related activities during your gap year as many secondaries ask what are you currently up to when you apply.
2. -
3. I'd imagine a 30 and you're gold. I could see you getting accepted with a 28.
4. Don't obsess over it too much. Apply early if at all possible.
Thank you for your response, however after doing some research I used the official medical school GPA calculator and my true GPA is much lower than expected (D in calc III before retake which doesn't show on my transcript for some reason).

cGPA: 3.63
BCPM sGPA: 3.59

Also I forgot to mention this under extracurriculars
Work (over 500 hours): General biology lab TA working 17 hours a week for one year