Help! Bad GPA...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jenv1082, Jan 2, 2002.

1. jenv1082

jenv1082 Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm about to start my second semester sophomore year undergrad at UNC-CH and my cum GPA is horrible: 3.1. I made a C in analytical chem and a C- in 3rd yr calculus and I'm really really worried. I want to go to med school right after undergrad but im not sure its still possible to make it since I'm already so far in the hole...what should i do?? (besides working my ass off the next cpl semesters) Do i even still have a chance to get into a really good med school??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. well i think if you improve these last three semesters and your senior year too (you might wanna send fall grades for sr yr) then showing that kidn of improvement merits an acceptance at a good school. if you get it up to like 3.5 by the time you apply then you've averaged something like 3.9 for three semesters. Now that cum gpa is decent, AND the recent improvement is good enough for a Really good school (assuming your mcat matches that schools average). good luck.

4. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member

You can earn many forgiveness points with a high MCAT score.

5. Mr. Eastern Medicine

7+ Year Member

Foreign Med schools.

6. dukeblue01

dukeblue01 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Take heart. I also did poorly during my second semester sophomore year. I recommend taking a year off and really acing junior AND senior year. I did fine junior year (3.6) but aced senior year (4.0) and did well on the MCAT in my junior summer. This kind of trend is appreciated and shows maturity. I was also a Chem major so I understand how hard analytical chem and multivariable calculus and linear algebra can be. I graduated in May and applied this year and have already been accepted at 3 schools. With a year off and very solid performance there is no doubt you can do it. Without a year....that may be pushing it. Good Luck!

7. jenv1082

jenv1082 Member
    7+ Year Member

What about adding another year after senior year? like post-bacc? How do they work? and would it really be a good way to help out my GPA?

8. dukeblue01

dukeblue01 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am not too familar with post-bacc, as I am doing research this year (good way to be published!). But I have heard that Columbia and Georgetown have good post-bacc programs specially suited for pre-meds. It is a good way to boost your GPA (though it is not counted in with undergrad), but usually takes more than one year (someone correct me if I am wrong). Good route, but you mentioned not wanting to take a lot of time off. Remember MCAT scores are only good for 3 and sometimes just 2 years. Hope this helps.

9. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    JenV,

If you are interested in Post-Baccs., visit this site:

<a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/considering/postbac.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/students/considering/postbac.htm</a>

At this site, you will find all the Post-Bac. programs available to you in the US. There are two types of Post-Bacs:

1) for non-traditional medical school applicants who NEVER had any science background (this route is not for you)

2) for students who wish to increase/enhance their academic credential (a remedial option) to apply to medical or dental schools

You will find in this list more option 1 than option 2! You'll have to make a lot of calls and emails to find out which one is most suitable for you.

Some good Post-bac programs will even GUARANTEE you interviews at certain medical school(s) if you do well in them. Happy hunting and searching!

One last thing, someone else have already mention these things, but personally, I feel that you have plenty of time to raise that GPA plus you'll have the MCAT left to demonstrate your determination! It's great to have a 3.6 or 3.7, but 3.3 is not bad at all if that's all you can raise! Bottom line, low GPA =&gt; kick ass on the MCAT!!!

:cool: