Help brainstorming for secondary essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DblHelix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm super stuck on Stony Brook's what non-medically related experience was most influential question. The truly most influential experience involved a family member who had medical problems...i.e. medically related. I am drawing a complete blank. What did you all say?

Members don't see this ad.

Talk about some experience that was humanitarian. I would talk about any volunteer experience where you worked with children or the elderly that didn't involve medicine....

But "Most Influential" is pretty heavy. i don't think any of my non-medical volunteering did anything close to that level.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I talked about a group of girls I tutored/mentored for 2 years.

I would keep thinking about humanitarian experiences you have had - I'm sure you'll come up with something.

I think you're too hung up on the 'most influential' part. Think of something non-medically related that was important to you, and write about it. The most influential non-medically related experience isn't necessarily super important in your life.

Yeah I talked about a group of girls I tutored/mentored for 2 years.

I would keep thinking about humanitarian experiences you have had - I'm sure you'll come up with something.

I think you're too hung up on the 'most influential' part. Think of something non-medically related that was important to you, and write about it. The most influential non-medically related experience isn't necessarily super important in your life.

I think you're right. Most influential makes me think it has to be some big, life-altering event. Now I must think...

i dont know the whole question, most influential does not only mean most influential on aiding your decision to pursue medicine, how bout most influential on you character or life... also experience does not necessarily a one time event, can be a big activity

i have done plenty non-medically related volunteer work but like you're saying nothing was life-altering and i didnt want to butter things up. i backpacked across europe last summer. i talked about that and I have always wondered if that wasnt such a great idea..i didnt do any volunteer work there, it was a leisurely trip but i learned a lot about myself. my experience in europe was amazing and i hope some of the things i talked about made me seem like a strong character in general..not necessarily a strong med school applicant. i dont know..havent heard back from them so im assuming i should have talked about my tutoring stint with young underserved children or something. :(