HELP!! Choose my future... PLZ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrbangbang

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Here is situation:

I have 2.85 gpa with 96 credits.
2 F Genetic, and physics, i retaked and got B.
Overall i got like B's in science.
And this is my 5th year in college.

No DAT. One recommdation. no extra curricular activaties.

Here are some of the issues i have been thinking about.

Just Graduate and do Post Bac and DAT well and hopefully get in this way.

Problem is that It will take sooo long. 5 years in college(maybe more) Post bacc( 2 years????) and 4 years dental...

OR... I can take Spring 2004 semester off, and just Study for DAT and extracurriculer activiaties, hopefully i have alot of time to focus on DAT. and I guess try to get really high score to get in this way.

Problem I see with this is.. i only have one recommdation, with out going to school how am i going to get recommadation. and if i dont get in, then i wasted another year...

Please advise me on this situation. Should I apply this year?

Also although this is very slim chance, if i some how did extremely well on the DAT like 23 maybe?? will I have have good chance of getting in???

please be honest with me. Thanks

The lost

Members don't see this ad.

Me:

Undergraduate: 6 years
Post-Bac: 1 year
Dental School: 4 years
Oral Surgery (projected): 6 years

If dentistry is what you want, then you must do what ever it takes to get there. Unfortunately like me, you have low undergraduate GPA and it is inevitable for you to take a little bit longer to acheive your dental dream. Further, it will most likely cost you more $$ in tuition as well since you may take the Post-bac route!

Oh BTW, Post-bac programs are set up for two years, but usually you should only aim to do one. If you're successful and also picking the right Post-Bac program, you should only be there for one year to get you into a dental school. It is only when you're not successful in your Post-Bac program (not earning all Bs or higher), that you'll want to finish up the Post-Bac program which usually are Master degrees.

Your situation sounded like mine, I did it so can you! Rock the DAT, aim for 20s/20s!

It's all time and money, my friend. You'll have to invest and be patient. One step at a time, little by little you will succeed.

YOU SHOULD NOT APPLY THIS YEAR! FINISH YOUR BACHELORS DEGREE. WITHOUT A BACHELOR'S DEGREE, POST-BAC PROGRAMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO YOU SINCE THEY ARE USUALLY CONSIDERED MASTER PROGRAMS.

Even if you got a 23+ on the DAT your chances of getting in with a 2.85 are going to be a slim, however, not impossible. If you have an upward trend with above a 3.5 for the last two semesters I say go for it. Just contact some of your past professors and get some letters. If your past 2 semesters have been 3.0 or below then I would suggest going for the post bac route. Either way you really need to score big on the DAT. Don't take it unitl you are positive you can get at least a 21. I'm sure others will have differing opinions. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not say your 2.85 GPA makes it impossible for you to get in. There are plenty of people with similar and lower overall GPA as you getting in; however many people with better getting rejected.

Do not apply this year. It is too late for one with your stats. For us 3.0> applicants, the DAT could be your savior or executioner. You are right that your need a lot of preparation for this test. Do not depend on Kaplan course to give the scores you want 21/20. If you have the money then take the course, but it is ultimately is your hard work that will give you high scores. I studied 4 months! But I got in, and no regrets.

I am unfamiliar with postbac. If they start in the Fall, then study during summer and take the DAT late summer. Depending on your scores, decide to apply for the 2005 application cycle. Then kick-a$$ on the postbac.

This is just my thoughts on your situation. Also, what is you sci gpa and BPC gpa

Do some shadowing in the summer. I was able to do able 150 hour during last summer.

Why is it taking so long to complete you undergrad. You need to take at least 12 units of science each quarter to be taken serious.

Originally posted by Thaxil
I would not say your 2.85 GPA makes it impossible for you to get in. There are plenty of people with similar and lower overall GPA as you getting in; however many people with better getting rejected.

I disagree. It isn't impossible, but there certainly aren't "plenty" of people with similar and lower overall GPAs getting in.

And of those who do matriculate with stats like that, the GPA certainly doesn't tell the entire story.

I have no disagreement with you. GPA is just one number. To better judge a candidate, you need to look a Sci GPA, BPC GPA, and trend of achievement, course load, school attended, major, and out side activities. The adcoms have a difficult job in putting all these aspect into consideration. This is one reason why your DAT scores need to be awesome, to give the adcoms reason to dig deeper into your application.

Reality. You need to ace the rest of your classes, score 20/20 on the DAT, and do as much volunteer and research work as possible. Then write a stellar admissions essay, and include the reason why you did so bad vs. the reason why you did so good. That shoud be an easy answer...you want to be dentist.

PA

Originally posted by paulallen
Reality. You need to ace the rest of your classes, score 20/20 on the DAT, and do as much volunteer and research work as possible. Then write a stellar admissions essay, and include the reason why you did so bad vs. the reason why you did so good. That shoud be an easy answer...you want to be dentist.
PA
This is unquestionably the best piece of advice in this thread.

Is it possible to get any statistics that breaks down acceptances and applicatants based on their GPA range? Just to see what you are talking about when you mean that it is going to be a reach.